design patterns in ruby: any good?

Giles Bowkett

1/8/2008 4:46:00 PM

Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

16 Answers

pat eyler

On Jan 8, 2008 9:46 AM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:

http://on-ruby.bl.../2007/12/design-patterns-in-ruby-r...

--
thanks,
-pate

aemadrid@gmail.com

I'm almost finished and I'm liking it. It helps me put my thoughts
ordered and I have learned a few things too.

AEM

On Jan 8, 9:46 am, Giles Bowkett <gil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Podcast:http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
> Blog:http://gilesbowkett.bl...
> Portfolio:http://www.gilesg...
> Tumblelog:http://giles....

Giles Bowkett

> > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.
>
> I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
>
> http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/design-patterns-in-ruby-r...

Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

Jake Cutter

On Jan 8, 2008 1:26 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.
> >
> > I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
> >
> > http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/design-patterns-in-ruby-r...
>
> Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
> patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...

What gives?

Jake

Jake Cutter

On Jan 8, 2008 1:26 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.
> >
> > I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
> >
> > http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/design-patterns-in-ruby-r...
>
> Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
> patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...

What gives?

Jake

Giles Bowkett

> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>
> What gives?

I was wondering about that myself. I think the Singleton pattern gets
used a lot in Ruby, though. Definitely a question worth asking.

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

James Gray

On Jan 8, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

>> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
>> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
>> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
>> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>>
>> What gives?
>
> I was wondering about that myself.

Ruby isn't immune to design patterns.

Some patterns are very trivial in Ruby (Visitor is basically just a
method that takes a block), and some others don't make as much sense
in Ruby (Factory isn't nearly as important with classes being objects
themselves). Ruby also inspires some new patterns, I believe. The
ideas that led to the design patterns and many of the patterns still
apply to Ruby in some fashion though.

James Edward Gray II

Thomas Wieczorek

On Jan 8, 2008 8:08 PM, Jake Cutter <cutter38@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>
> What gives?

IMO, patterns give you a common vocabulary to speak with other
developers and a way to refactor existing code.
Raganwald wrote a good blog entry about it
http://weblog.raganwald.com/2008/01/problem-with-problem-with-d...

Michael Brooks

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

Hello Giles:

You may also find this Scribd document interesting:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/396559/gof-patter...

There are also a couple of other interesting documents regarding ruby on
Scribd (try a search for ruby) like

http://www.scribd.com/doc/266840/Ruby-Cod...

Michael

Giles Bowkett

> Hello Giles:
>
> You may also find this Scribd document interesting:
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/396559/gof-patter...

Gracias! It was useful actually -- I forgot about Singleton being in
the std lib.

Pat's review says the book covers only 14 of the GoF's original 23
patterns, I think that's the explanation for the disparity between
"Ruby makes design patterns useless!" vs. "design patterns can be
useful in Ruby." Presumably the missing 9 are considered either not
necessary, or just less interesting, in Ruby.