Re: Embedding 1.9

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Embedding 1.9"
on Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:22:01 +0900, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> writes:

|In 1.9, do we also now need to call set_locale()?

Do you mean setlocale()? It's optional. If you call it,
Encoding.default_external will be set according to your locale,
otherwise it will be ASCII-8BIT.

matz.

2 Answers

Michal Suchanek

On 08/01/2008, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Embedding 1.9"
> on Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:22:01 +0900, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> writes:
>
> |In 1.9, do we also now need to call set_locale()?
>
> Do you mean setlocale()? It's optional. If you call it,
> Encoding.default_external will be set according to your locale,
> otherwise it will be ASCII-8BIT.

However, calling setlocale should not break ruby 1.9 since the
interpreter does it as well ;-)

Thanks

Michal

Dave Thomas

On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> However, calling setlocale should not break ruby 1.9 since the
> interpreter does it as well ;-)

Right. The interpreter calls a bunch of methods during initialization.
I'm trying to determine the minimum subset required for safe 1.9
operation. I _think_ I've got it now, and I'll be pushing it as part
of the beta in the next few days.

Thanks

Dave