broken gems uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (Nam

dave

1/4/2008 9:38:00 PM

I am a ruby newbie. Somehow (I suspect with a gem update command) I have
broken
gems on my mac (running leopard).

Now if I use any gem command I get the same error

Macintosh:~ dtilley$ gem query --remote
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:18:in `initialize':
uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new'
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22

1) Has anybody seen this?
2) Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Thanks

Dave

Bernard Kenik

On Jan 4, 4:37 pm, Dave Tilley <dtil...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> I am a ruby newbie. Somehow (I suspect with a gem update command) I have
> broken
> gems on my mac (running leopard).
>
> Now if I use any gem command I get the same error
>
> Macintosh:~ dtilley$ gem query --remote
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:18:in `initialize':
> uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
>   from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new'
>   from /usr/local/bin/gem:22
>
> 1) Has anybody seen this?
> 2) Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

The proper syntax

gem query -n <gemname> --remote

Eric Hodel

On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:37 PM, Dave Tilley wrote:

> I am a ruby newbie. Somehow (I suspect with a gem update command) I
> have
> broken
> gems on my mac (running leopard).
>

> Now if I use any gem command I get the same error
>
> Macintosh:~ dtilley$ gem query --remote
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:18:in `initialize':
> uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
> from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new'
> from /usr/local/bin/gem:22
>

> 1) Has anybody seen this?
> 2) Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Looks like you're using an older `gem` executable with a newer
RubyGems runtime.

Also, your paths don't match. RubyGems would install `gem` into /usr/
bin when installing into /usr/lib/. Try /usr/bin/gem. If that works,
remove /usr/local/bin/gem. It must be a relic from an alternate
install.

dave

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:37 PM, Dave Tilley wrote:
>
>> uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
>> from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new'
>> from /usr/local/bin/gem:22
>>

>> 1) Has anybody seen this?
>> 2) Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?
>
> Looks like you're using an older `gem` executable with a newer
> RubyGems runtime.
>
> Also, your paths don't match. RubyGems would install `gem` into /usr/
> bin when installing into /usr/lib/. Try /usr/bin/gem. If that works,
> remove /usr/local/bin/gem. It must be a relic from an alternate
> install.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up reinstalling gems and now things
work.