comp.lang.lisp

slime-describe-symbol

Jim Newton

7/24/2015 12:54:00 PM

When using slime I can type Cntl-C Cntl-D Cntl-D to get a description of the symbol at the point. Slime does a good job of figuring out which package the symbol belongs to.

Sometimes I don't know which package the symbol I want comes from, especially in code I didn't write.

Is there a say to ask slime to loop through all the packages (LIST-ALL-PACKAGES) and print the description of each symbol of this name in every package it occurs in?

2 Answers

Sebastian Christ

Jim> When using slime I can type Cntl-C Cntl-D Cntl-D to get a
Jim> description of the symbol at the point. Slime does a good job
Jim> of figuring out which package the symbol belongs to. Sometimes
Jim> I don't know which package the symbol I want comes from,
Jim> especially in code I didn't write.

Jim> Is there a say to ask slime to loop through all the packages
Jim> (LIST-ALL-PACKAGES) and print the description of each symbol of
Jim> this name in every package it occurs in?

You can try "C-c C-d a". This invokes `slime-apropos'.

Best,
Sebastian

Jim Newton

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to work ok, but it does not default to the symbol at the point like slime-describe-symbol does :-(