comp.lang.lisp

A Lisp Photo / Video Sharing Site

gengyangcai

7/18/2015 5:34:00 AM

A lot of the most popular sites on the web are for photo sharing. But the sites classified as social networks are also largely about photo sharing. As much as people like to share words (IM and email and blogging are "word sharing" apps), they probably like to share pictures more. It's less work and the results are usually more interesting. I think there is huge growth still to come. There may ultimately be 30 different subtypes of image/video sharing service, half of which remain to be discovered.

Anyone interested in collaborating on such a project written in Lisp? Its a huge market and a big deal if we could design something innovative that users love that hasn't been created yet , plus because of the fact we are writing this mostly in Lisp, we will have way way fewer competitors ...

CAI GENGYANG
2 Answers

Matthew Carter

CAI GENGYANG <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:

> A lot of the most popular sites on the web are for photo sharing. But
> the sites classified as social networks are also largely about photo
> sharing. As much as people like to share words (IM and email and
> blogging are "word sharing" apps), they probably like to share
> pictures more. It's less work and the results are usually more
> interesting. I think there is huge growth still to come. There may
> ultimately be 30 different subtypes of image/video sharing service,
> half of which remain to be discovered.
>
> Anyone interested in collaborating on such a project written in Lisp?
> Its a huge market and a big deal if we could design something
> innovative that users love that hasn't been created yet , plus because
> of the fact we are writing this mostly in Lisp, we will have way way
> fewer competitors ...
>
> CAI GENGYANG

The problem is that the underlying language matters little to the end
users (they only see the result of the language), and while Common Lisp
has some advantages over other languages, its pretty rare where one
language cannot do something another can (although occasionally the time
investment may be greater).

I think the only time the language would come into play would be in a
coding competition.

For instance, if you have two startups, each going to make a new
sub-type of photo sharing site, and one team completes the site in 300
man hours using Common Lisp, while the other does it in 500 using PHP
(or Java or something), it will, for the most part, make relatively
little difference.

The thing that will make the most difference is
marketing/advertising/garnering interest in the site.

I suggest you watch the movie "The Interns" (with Vince Vaughn) - they
have a scene that reminds me of your post, where he is coming up with
"new" ideas for a website, and all his colleagues keep shooting him down
telling him the site that already does it.

Paraphrasing:

Vince: "I have an idea for a site where people share pictures"

Coworker: "That's instagram!"

Vince: "But on my site they just share pictures, no text!"

Coworker: "Still instagram..."

Vince: "But they do it from their phones!"

Coworker: "...still instagram"

Good luck though!

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://a...

gengyangcai

I got this from YCombinator's RFS , point number 9 : http://old.ycombinator..com/.... True there are already sites in existence like these, but that's there the nature of startups. There is constant ruthless competition and innovation. Just like search technology, there were tons of search engines before 1998, but Larry Page and Sergey Brin still launched Google --- things seem to be going pretty well for them now ! And photo/video sharing services are a much less crowded space compared to search engine technology --- there's still a lot of room for new types go photo/video sharing apps to appear and there will be a lot of innovation evolution in this space in the future. so its not a zero-sum game. (i.e. doesn't mean that just because there is Instagram, you can't create a competitor or even something fundamentally different)