comp.lang.lisp

CLisp --- a good free Lisp implementation

gengyangcai

7/6/2015 5:44:00 PM

So I decided to download CLisp, after reading this page : http://www.paulgraham.com/lis... and I was directed to this page : http://www.... I am a little confused, which link do I click next to download CLisp ? Thanks a lot !
24 Answers

Matthew Carter

Cai Gengyang <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:

> So I decided to download CLisp, after reading this page :
> http://www.paulgraham.com/lis... and I was directed to this
> page : http://www.... I am a little confused, which link do I
> click next to download CLisp ? Thanks a lot !

If you're on a good OS like GNU/Linux it should be in your package
manager. If you're using something like Windows, you probably want to
install Cygwin and download the page link for the Cygwin Clisp Package.

I don't think CLISP is available natively on Windows (although something
like SBCL is).

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://a...

gengyangcai

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 1:48:20 AM UTC+8, Matthew Carter wrote:
> Cai Gengyang <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So I decided to download CLisp, after reading this page :
> > http://www.paulgraham.com/lis... and I was directed to this
> > page : http://www.... I am a little confused, which link do I
> > click next to download CLisp ? Thanks a lot !
>
> If you're on a good OS like GNU/Linux it should be in your package
> manager. If you're using something like Windows, you probably want to
> install Cygwin and download the page link for the Cygwin Clisp Package.
>
> I don't think CLISP is available natively on Windows (although something
> like SBCL is).
>
> --
> Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
> http://a...

I am using a Mac OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 laptop ... What i meant was : on this page http://www... there are many links to click on. Which one do I click to install CLisp on my Mac. Sorry I am not very good at explaining stuff in words (always been very poor at language and writing and there are very few if any Lisp developers in Singapore, so I am looking for help here since I have read that Lisp is the most powerful programming language in existence on Earth and mastering it would be akin to experiencing "enlightenment" ...

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Cai Gengyang <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 1:48:20 AM UTC+8, Matthew Carter wrote:
>> Cai Gengyang <gengyangcai@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > So I decided to download CLisp, after reading this page :
>> > http://www.paulgraham.com/lis... and I was directed to this
>> > page : http://www.... I am a little confused, which link do I
>> > click next to download CLisp ? Thanks a lot !
>>
>> If you're on a good OS like GNU/Linux it should be in your package
>> manager. If you're using something like Windows, you probably want to
>> install Cygwin and download the page link for the Cygwin Clisp Package.
>>
>> I don't think CLISP is available natively on Windows (although something
>> like SBCL is).
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
>> http://a...
>
> I am using a Mac OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 laptop ... What i meant
> was : on this page http://www... there are many links to click
> on. Which one do I click to install CLisp on my Mac.

The options for Mac are:

Fink: Unix software for Darwin and Mac OS X
CLISP Package
MacPorts: Open-Source software for the Mac OS X
CLISP Package
Homebrew: The missing package manager for OS X
CLISP Formula

That means, that depending on what package manager you've installed on
MacOSX, you will have to type:

sudo port install clisp
sudo brew install clisp

or something for fink I don't remember, because nobody uses fink
anymore.

But you would have to choose MacPorts or Homebrew first, and install one
(or both) of them.

https://www.mac...
http:...

Other Common Lisp implementations that you can install with MacPorts
are: abcl, ccl, ecl, gcl, and sbcl, all in fairly recent versions.

So you could install them with:

sudo port install abcl ccl clisp ecl gcl sbcl

and then using my clall script found in
http://git.informatimago.com/viewgit/?a=viewblob&p=public/bin&h=d410ca318c0bfeb0506b0e575f7d154ccb4de0d6&hb=867a19e42966d37dc31041f7fe6eeb6d0ee9504b&a...
(you can get all my scripts with:
git clone http://git.informatimago.com/...
), you can try all those implementations at once:

$ clall -r '(lisp-implementation-version)'

Armed Bear Common Lisp --> "1.3.1", "Java_HotSpot(TM)_64-Bit_Server_VM-Oracle_Corporation-1.7.0_67-b01", "x86_64-Mac_OS_X-10.10.4"
Clozure Common Lisp --> "Version 1.10-r16196 (DarwinX8664)"
CLISP --> "2.49 (2010-07-07) (built 3627247252) (memory 3627247357)"
ECL --> "15.3.7"
SBCL --> "1.2.13"

Notice that on MacOSX, you might prefer to use ccl, notably getting it
from the AppStore (Clozure CL.app), since it provides a nice GUI IDE
including the Hemlock (emacs-like) editor, and inspectors, etc. In
anycase, ccl on MacOSX allows you to write Cocoa applications. Check
out as an example, http://cliki.net/com.informatima...
You can do the same with other implementations, using the FFI, but
currently only ccl provides a smoothless Objective-C bridge.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
â??The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a

Stefan Monnier

> currently only ccl provides a smoothless Objective-C bridge.
^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting choice of word!

Stefan

Pascal J. Bourguignon

>> currently only ccl provides a smoothless Objective-C bridge.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> Interesting choice of word!

Oops, I meant the opposite :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
â??The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a
keep the man from touching the equipment.� -- Carl Bass CEO Autodesk

Jeff Barnett

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote on 7/7/2015 7:07 AM:

>>> currently only ccl provides a smoothless Objective-C bridge.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>> Interesting choice of word!
>
> Oops, I meant the opposite :-)

I don't recognize roughless or smoothmore either. Would you be more
precise please.
--
Jeff Barnett

Matthew Carter

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote on 7/7/2015 7:07 AM:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Interesting choice of word!
>>
>> Oops, I meant the opposite :-)
>
> I don't recognize roughless or smoothmore either. Would you be more
> precise please.

Obviously meant roughmore, a hamlet in Old Cleeve parish.
http://ukga.org/england/Somerset/towns/Roug...

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://a...

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote on 7/7/2015 7:07 AM:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Interesting choice of word!
>>
>> Oops, I meant the opposite :-)
>
> I don't recognize roughless or smoothmore either. Would you be more
> precise please.

currently only ccl provides a smooth Objective-C bridge.
currently only ccl provides a painless Objective-C bridge.

--

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 4:00:28 AM UTC+8, informatimago wrote:
> [...]
> ECL --> "15.3.7"
> SBCL --> "1.2.13"
>

> Notice that on MacOSX, you might prefer to use ccl, notably getting it
> from the AppStore (Clozure CL.app), since it provides a nice GUI IDE
> including the Hemlock (emacs-like) editor, and inspectors, etc. In
> anycase, ccl on MacOSX allows you to write Cocoa applications. Check
> out as an example, http://cliki.net/com.informatima...
> You can do the same with other implementations, using the FFI, but
> currently only ccl provides a smoothless Objective-C bridge.
>

> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informat...
> "The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a
> dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to
> keep the man from touching the equipment." -- Carl Bass CEO Autodesk

Hi Pascal Bourguignon,

Thanks for the very detailed instructions and helping out a newbie ! I am going to write out the entire process I took in my attempt to download MacPorts and its accompanying CLisp package and the obstacles I faced. In short, I managed to download MacPorts successfully on my Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 but I don't seem to be able to download the CLisp package itself despite clicking on the download links in it :

- Went to The MacPorts Project https://www.mac...install.php and clicked on the OS X 10.10 Yosemite link and downloaded and installed MacPorts : I got the message saying that the software was successfully installed on my computer and when I opened the MacPorts folder, I see 3 folders 'bin', 'include', 'lib' and a whole bunch of other files and folders when I open the 3 folders. Am i correct to assume that this means that Macports has been successfully installed and is there anything else I need to do to "activate" it ?

- Clicked on the "CLisp Package" link on www.clisp.org under the "MacPorts: Open-Source software for the Mac OS X" link on the right hand side and I came to this page : http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/.....

- Clicked on the files directory : http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/.../files

- Clicked on the file : patch-src_configure.diff ----------http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/.../files/patch-src_configure.diff

- Clicked the "Plain Text" link under "Download in other formats" : Nothing happens

- Clicked the "Original Format" link under "Download in other formats" : Nothing happens

- Returned to this page : http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/.../files

- Clicked the "patch-src_lispbibl_d.diff" link

- Clicked the "Plain Text" link under "Download in other formats" : Nothing happens

- Clicked the "Original Format" link under "Download in other formats" : Nothing happens

- Returned to this page : http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/...?order=name

- Clicked on the "Portfile" file : http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/.../Portfile

- Clicked on the "Original Format" link under Download in other formats : A new TextEdit file popped up which looks like this :

categories lang
maintainers easieste openmaintainer
platforms darwin
license GPL-2
description The Clisp Common Lisp Implementation
long_description CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible, formerly of Karlsruhe University, and Michael Stoll, formerly of Munich University, both in Germany. It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard. CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, almost all of CLOS, a foreign language interface and a socket interface. An X11 interface is available through CLX and Garnet. Command line editing is provided by readline.

homepage http://clisp...
master_sites gnu:clisp/release/${version} sourceforge

checksums md5 1962b99d5e530390ec3829236d168649 sha1 7e8d585ef8d0d6349ffe581d1ac08681e6e670d4 rmd160 bfb81abf942b07bbb8d83505f287d546b1bbdacc

depends_lib port:readline port:gettext port:libsigsegv

universal_variant no
use_bzip2 yes
patchfiles patch-src_lispbibl_d.diff

if {${os.platform} eq "darwin" && ${os.major} >= 14} {
patchfiles-append patch-src_configure.diff
}

# Force 32-bit, inline-asm
supported_archs ppc i386

# Likely a project bug
# TODO: Report upstream and provide a link to the bug report here.
compiler.blacklist *clang*

configure.cflags

if {${os.platform} eq "darwin" && ${os.major} >= 11} {
configure.cflags-append -Wl,-no_pie
}

configure.cc-append ${configure.cc_archflags}
configure.args --with-libreadline-prefix=${prefix} --with-libsigsegv-prefix=${prefix} --with-libiconv-prefix=${prefix}

use_parallel_build no
build.dir ${worksrcpath}/src
build.env-delete LD_PREBIND LD_PREBIND_ALLOW_OVERLAP
build.cmd "ulimit -s 16384 && make"
build.target

test.run yes
test.target check

livecheck.type regex
livecheck.url http://ftp.gn...${name}/release/?C=M&O=D
livecheck.regex >(\[0-9.\]+)/<

- Got stuck, unsure what to do next and how to install the CLisp package ?

Any help appreciated , thanks a lot !

Cai Gengyang

Sebastian Christ

I think the easiest way for getting started with Common Lisp on OSX is
by downloading Clozure CL from the App Store.

If you must have CLisp, I would recommend to install homebrew[1] instead
of MacPorts. Be sure to have XCode installed (also in the App Store)

Then install CLisp:

$ brew install clisp

Best,
Sebastian