Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?"
on Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:57:10 +0900, "Rick DeNatale" <rick.denatale@gmail.com> writes:

|> - perhaps April?)
|> * In order to drive development, make intermediate releases regularly
|> with short (one month?) intervals with the version fixed at 1.9.0
|> (releases every 29th?)
|
|So I guess this means that version 1.9.0 will change at the end of
|each month??? until 1.9.1 is released maybe in April.
|
|If this is the case, I'm not sure just what changed when 1.9.0 was
|released on the 25th.
|
|I'm a bit confused.

They will be bug fix versions. The spec will not be changed. If
changed, they were spec bugs.

matz.

1 Answer

Rick DeNatale

On Dec 28, 2007 6:46 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?"
> on Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:57:10 +0900, "Rick DeNatale" <rick.denatale@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |> - perhaps April?)
> |> * In order to drive development, make intermediate releases regularly
> |> with short (one month?) intervals with the version fixed at 1.9.0
> |> (releases every 29th?)
> |
> |So I guess this means that version 1.9.0 will change at the end of
> |each month??? until 1.9.1 is released maybe in April.
> |
> |If this is the case, I'm not sure just what changed when 1.9.0 was
> |released on the 25th.
> |
> |I'm a bit confused.
>
> They will be bug fix versions. The spec will not be changed. If
> changed, they were spec bugs.

But will they all be version 1.9.0? What's the meaning of version if
there are multiple drops with the same version number?

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...