comp.lang.lisp

Re: CL History (was Re: Why do people like C?

William James

5/2/2015 9:32:00 PM

Arun Welch wrote:

> 19. Shall there be a built-in identity function, and if so, what shall it
> be called?
> (c) CR (i) IDENTITY (n) no such function
>
> Issue 19: *** I ***
> Hedrick: I Wholey: I Fahlman: I Weinreb: I Killian: -
> Zubkoff: I Moon: I van Roggen: I Masinter: I RMS: I
> Dyer: X Bawden: I Feinberg: I Ginder: I Burke et al.: I
> Brooks: I Gabriel: - DECLISP: I Steele: I Dill: X
> Scherlis: I Pitman: I Anderson: -
>
> RMS: The canonical identity function is now called PROG1, but the name
> IDENTITY is ok by me.

PROG1 is not a function.

* (mapcar #'identity '(2 3))

(2 3)
* (mapcar #'prog1 '(2 3))

debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION: The function PROG1 is undefined.

* (mapcar #'values '(2 3))

(2 3)

--
[Jesse Jackson] would spit into the food of white patrons he hated and then
smilingly serve it to them. He did this, he said, "because it gave me