convert excel spreadsheet to csv

Junkone

12/27/2007 1:51:00 AM

is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
apprecaite ur help
11 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Junkone wrote:
> is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> apprecaite ur help

Just use the OLE interface to open the spreadsheet, then do a "save as" CSV.

Ratnavel P S

Try ruport.......

its a report generating tool......

Bernard Kenik

On Dec 27, 1:29 am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <ratnave...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Try ruport.......
>
> its a report generating tool......

Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

bbiker wrote:
> On Dec 27, 1:29 am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <ratnave...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Try ruport.......
>>
>> its a report generating tool......
>> --
>
> Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!

That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
with the mouse is cheating! :)

OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
come up with to do this? Open the spreadsheet as a database in Rails?
Extra points for requiring a Windows machine, a Linux machine and a Mac.
Even more extra points for doing it totally without a Windows machine.
Anything goes -- OpenOffice bindings -- uploading it to Google Office --
AJAX -- decoding the binary with "unpack" -- you name it.

;)
;)

Marc Heiler

> what's the most complicated path you can come up with to do this?

lol

Thomas Preymesser

On 27/12/2007, Junkone <junkone1@gmail.com> wrote:

> is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> apprecaite ur help

try the gem 'roo'!

-Thomas

--=20
Thomas Preymesser
thopre@gmail.com
thomas@thopre.com
B=FCro: 030 - 830 353 88
mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06
http://thopre.word...
http://www.t...

Junkone

On Dec 27, 5:42 am, Thomas Preymesser <tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/12/2007, Junkone <junko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> > apprecaite ur help
>
> try the gem 'roo'!
>
> -Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Preymesser
> tho...@gmail.com
> tho...@thopre.com
> Büro: 030 - 830 353 88
> mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
> Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06http://thopre.wordpress.com/http://www.t...

roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

Robert Klemme

2007/12/27, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net>:
> bbiker wrote:
> > Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!
> >
> That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
> with the mouse is cheating! :)

... but very _pragmatic_! ;-)

> OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
> come up with to do this?

Actually IMHO that's a bad quiz idea because with whatever solution
someone comes up, you will be able to find a more complicated solution
by simply adding a step. :-)

Kind regards

robert

Karl von Laudermann

On Dec 27, 8:36 am, Junkone <junko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
> and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

The web site at http://roo.ruby... claims that it works with
Excel spreadsheets. Is this not correct?

Thomas Preymesser

On 27/12/2007, Junkone <junkone1@gmail.com> wrote:

> roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
> and goffice spreadsheets to csv.
>
> Oh - but it should ...
I will fix this in the next release.

-Thomas