Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?"
on Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:29:41 +0900, Wolfgang N1dasi-onner <ed.odanow@wo=
nado.de> writes:

|I'm somehow surprised, because it was named since a long time what is=20
|behind Ruby 1.9.
|
|1) Starting with planned Ruby 1.9.1 Ruby will not follow the even-odd=20
|number scheme, that was followed before. Ruby 1.9.n (n>=3D1) will be a=20
|stable version, planned for production usage.
|
|2) Ruby 1.9.n (n>=3D1) contains the ideas from Ruby 2, that are actual=20
|feasible.
|
|3) Work on Ruby 2 didn't start now.
|
|4) Ruby 1.9.0 was released instead of the planned Ruby 1.9.1, because=20
|the trunk was not as stable on 25.12. as everybody wants. It is not=20
|intended as a production version.
|
|5) Ruby 1.9.0 is stable in respect to features, and is from this=20
|viewpoint a reference inplementation, which can be used by developers.
|
|This is what how I understand all the posts an conference videos on the=20
|last year. I hope it is complete an correct (Mats?)
|
|Wolfgang N=E1dasi-Donner

Yes, it's complete and correct.

To answer the original poster's question, the purpose of Ruby 1.9.0
release announcement on the Christmas day was development driving. We
had tremendous improvements in last few weeks which cannot be achieved
without the goal. Otherwise we had to wait a few more _years_ to get
production stable 1.9 version. Thank you for everyone cooperated.

matz.