Re: Ruby 1.9.0 is released

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Ruby 1.9.0 is released"
on Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:08:21 +0900, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremymcanally@gmail.com> writes:

|Could you point out some areas that are in dire need of documentation?
| I've been wanting to get involved with Ruby core documentation but
|haven't had a discrete task list to concentrate on.

How about updating doc/NEWS file, and sending patches to
<ruby-core@ruby-lang.org> list? Or we can set up Wiki pages for
cooperate documentation writing.

matz.

6 Answers

Philo

It's greet if can use Wiki pages.

--Philo

--
Your True Friend.
Philo Cai

Charles Oliver Nutter

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby 1.9.0 is released"
> on Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:08:21 +0900, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremymcanally@gmail.com> writes:
> |
> |Could you point out some areas that are in dire need of documentation?
> | I've been wanting to get involved with Ruby core documentation but
> |haven't had a discrete task list to concentrate on.
>
> How about updating doc/NEWS file, and sending patches to
> <ruby-core@ruby-lang.org> list? Or we can set up Wiki pages for
> cooperate documentation writing.

What about spec.ruby-doc.org? It's already got a lot of documentation
for various aspects of 1.8, and I'd be ecstatic if it could be used as a
cooperative place to document Ruby 1.9 as well.

- Charlie

Jeremy McAnally

That would be fantastic. Perhaps we could branch the 1.8 spec and 1.9
spec so the work can continue on both?

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> That would be fantastic. Perhaps we could branch the 1.8 spec and 1.9
> spec so the work can continue on both?

We could easily provide a 1.8 and 1.9 entry point, and they could
cross-link whereever necessary. It would simply be a matter of adding
some links to the front-page as it exists now and possibly splitting
some existing articles into 1.8 and 1.9-compatible versions.

I can make this change any time (and of course, so can all of
you)...shall I?

I control the wiki's hosting at the moment, so I could also set it up
for multiple languages, if it would make it easier to get documentation
up to have separate Japanese/English pages.

- Charlie

Jeremy McAnally

That would be great, Charles. I'm looking over what's there now and
hopefully I can start contributing after the holidays.

Thanks!
Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Joshua Schairbaum

Jeremy,

I'd like to get involved with this as well. Let me know when you're
going to start working on it.

Josh