Uninstalling 1.9 on OS X

Daniel Waite

12/26/2007 7:28:00 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard, and
now my all my Rails apps are hosed.

I installed 1.9 with the following commands:

curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1....
tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
cd ruby-1.9.0
/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
--with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
make
sudo make install

Any ideas how I can get back to the version that came with Leopard?
Thanks, much...

BearXu

I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or not?

2007/12/26, Daniel Waite <rabbitblue@gmail.com>:

> I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard, and
> now my all my Rails apps are hosed.
>
> I installed 1.9 with the following commands:
>
> curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1....
> tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
> cd ruby-1.9.0
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
> make
> sudo make install
>
> Any ideas how I can get back to the version that came with Leopard?
> Thanks, much...

Daniel Waite

BearXu wrote:
> I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or not?

I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
searches your home directory and up.

If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free to
chime in.

Daniel Waite

Daniel Waite wrote:
> I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard, and
> now my all my Rails apps are hosed.
>
> I installed 1.9 with the following commands:
>
> curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1....
> tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
> cd ruby-1.9.0
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
> make
> sudo make install

I fixed it.

1. Hop into /usr/local/bin and delete everything there.
2. Follow the steps on the Hive Logic guide for installing Ruby and Ruby
gems.

I had to reinstall Rails, too. I'm guessing it's a path issue between
Leopard's native Ruby install and the stuff on Hive Logic.

Hive Logic link:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel-...

Benjamin Reed

On Dec 26, 2007 4:02 AM, Daniel Waite <rabbitblue@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
> think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
> searches your home directory and up.

Time Machine makes an exact duplicate of your entire drive (minus any
directories you exclude).

In fact, restoring from Time Machine was *too* exact for me; I had
formatted my drive as Case-Sensitive HFS+, which it turns out is not
compatible with Photoshop. I tried reformatting my drive as
Case-Insensitive HFS+ and then restoring from Time Machine, and the
Time Machine restore reformatted it as Case-Sensitive again. :P

James Gray

On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:

> BearXu wrote:
>> I am curious about if the TimeMachine is useful in this occasion or
>> not?
>
> I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I
> don't
> think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it
> only
> searches your home directory and up.
>
> If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free
> chime in.

Not true. It handles your entire hard drive.

I would say you just found a great reason to splurge on the external
drive and get it turned on.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:18 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:

> Daniel Waite wrote:
>> I'm sorry. I didn't look before leaping, installed 1.9 on Leopard,
>> and
>> now my all my Rails apps are hosed.
>>
>> I installed 1.9 with the following commands:
>>
>> curl -O ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1....
>> tar xzvf ruby-1.9.0.tar.gz
>> cd ruby-1.9.0
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-pthread
>> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local --enable-shared
>> make
>> sudo make install
>
> I fixed it.
>
> 1. Hop into /usr/local/bin and delete everything there.
> 2. Follow the steps on the Hive Logic guide for installing Ruby and
> Ruby
> gems.
>
> I had to reinstall Rails, too. I'm guessing it's a path issue between
> Leopard's native Ruby install and the stuff on Hive Logic.
>
> Hive Logic link:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel-...

Hive Logic has you install Ruby in /usr/local/bin while Apple's
default Ruby lives in /usr/bin. All you need to do is adjust your
path so /usr/bin will be found first again.

James Edward Gray II

Daniel Waite

James Gray wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Daniel Waite wrote:
>
>> If anyone's actually used Time Machine and knows for sure, feel free
>> chime in.
>
> Not true. It handles your entire hard drive.
>
> I would say you just found a great reason to splurge on the external
> drive and get it turned on.
>
> James Edward Gray II

That's awesome! Sounds like I have found a reason. Time Machine:
Subversion your life!

And thanks for the tip about where Ruby lives on Leopard. I appreciate
it.

Daniel Waite

Benjamin Reed wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 4:02 AM, Daniel Waite <rabbitblue@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have it turned on (because I have no backup device) but I don't
>> think so. I *think* it works similarly to Spotlight in Tiger -- it only
>> searches your home directory and up.
>
> Time Machine makes an exact duplicate of your entire drive (minus any
> directories you exclude).
>
> In fact, restoring from Time Machine was *too* exact for me; I had
> formatted my drive as Case-Sensitive HFS+, which it turns out is not
> compatible with Photoshop. I tried reformatting my drive as
> Case-Insensitive HFS+ and then restoring from Time Machine, and the
> Time Machine restore reformatted it as Case-Sensitive again. :P

Wow.

Really, that's all I can say: wow. :) That's awesome. I'm definitely
getting an external drive then.

BearXu

I still think that TimeMachine can recover the Ruby Folder.I have no idea if
the user/bin is a folder in the Finder.
Anyway, I don't have a Mac and I hope that I can buy one in 2008.
So if not, I wish Apple can add this to the MacOs then the coders will be
happy!