comp.lang.lisp

Where after SICP and more on propagation of constraints

Mirko

4/8/2015 2:14:00 AM

I may have mentioned it already, but here it goes: SICP blew my mind.
Scheme blew my mind.

To my untrained CompSci mind, SICP is the equivalent of The Feynman
Lectures on Physics.

Two questions, one general, one specific.

1 - Chapter 3 was totally new to me. Recommendations for
further reading?

2 - Propagation of constraints. I use Screamer now. Any other CL
packages on that theme?

TIA,

Mirko
3 Answers

rpw3

Mirko Vukovic <mirko.vukovic@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Chapter 3 was totally new to me. Recommendations for
| further reading?
+---------------

If you liked that, you might have fun with the book
"Lisp in Small Pieces" (a.k.a. "L.i.S.P.") by Christian
Queinnec:

http://pagesperso-systeme.lip6.fr/Christian.Queinnec/WWW...

Personally, I found the section on "Fast Interpretation" in
Chapter 6 to be most interesting, especially Section 6.1.9
"Variations on Environments", which is an excellent discussion
of various alternative implementations of lexical scope and
their performance & GC-behavior tradeoffs.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <http://rpw...
San Mateo, CA 94403

Kenneth Tilton

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 10:14:35 PM UTC-4, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> I may have mentioned it already, but here it goes: SICP blew my mind.
> Scheme blew my mind.
>
> To my untrained CompSci mind, SICP is the equivalent of The Feynman
> Lectures on Physics.
>
> Two questions, one general, one specific.
>
> 1 - Chapter 3 was totally new to me. Recommendations for
> further reading?
>
> 2 - Propagation of constraints. I use Screamer now. Any other CL
> packages on that theme?
>
> TIA,
>
> Mirko

https://github.com/kennyti...

That cites prior art you might be able to find, such as Garnet's KR.

-kt

Mirko

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:38:45 AM UTC-4, His Kennyness wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 10:14:35 PM UTC-4, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> > I may have mentioned it already, but here it goes: SICP blew my mind.
> > Scheme blew my mind.
> >
> > To my untrained CompSci mind, SICP is the equivalent of The Feynman
> > Lectures on Physics.
> >
> > Two questions, one general, one specific.
> >
> > 1 - Chapter 3 was totally new to me. Recommendations for
> > further reading?
> >
> > 2 - Propagation of constraints. I use Screamer now. Any other CL
> > packages on that theme?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Mirko
>
> https://github.com/kennyti...

I thought that in cells constraint propagate in one direction only:
when the parent cell is modified, the daughter cells are updated.
I need propagation in both directions.