Re: Ruby DBI

Michael Glaesemann

12/24/2007 8:17:00 PM

On Dec 24, 2007, at 9:35 , Praveen Ray wrote:

> What's the best way to do raw SQL in Ruby? Something like Perl's
> DBI. I see there is a Ruby DBI but it seems in beta.

I've been happily using Ruby DBI as is. Of course, test it to make
sure it suits your needs, but I doubt you'll have many problems with it.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

2 Answers

Joey Gibson

On Dec 24, 2007 3:17 PM, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2007, at 9:35 , Praveen Ray wrote:
>
> > What's the best way to do raw SQL in Ruby? Something like Perl's
> > DBI. I see there is a Ruby DBI but it seems in beta.
>
> I've been happily using Ruby DBI as is. Of course, test it to make
> sure it suits your needs, but I doubt you'll have many problems with it.

I've also been using Ruby DBI for years without issue. I've written hundreds
of scripts using it and it's always worked a treat. I've used it with both
MySQL and SQL Server (though that was a long time ago).

Joey

--
Jobkabob: http://www.jo...

http://www.joeygibso...
http://www.joeygibso.../life/Wisdom.html

Tim Uckun

> I've also been using Ruby DBI for years without issue. I've written hundreds
> of scripts using it and it's always worked a treat. I've used it with both
> MySQL and SQL Server (though that was a long time ago).

If you using SQL server don't rely on prepare statements to protect
you from SQL injection attacks. All it's doing is simple string
substitutions (it doesn't actually create prepared statements).

I had better luck with ODBC then ADO when going against SQL server
FTIW. The ADO driver need some more work.