image browser for windows?

Esmail

how complicated would it be to put a basic
image browser for windows to display directories
that contain .jpg .gif etc images?

A file picker would be nice, but that would
require some basic GUI code which I haven't
done with Ruby at all.

I still have a system with Win 2K which doesn't
have a nice way to browse pics (like say the standard
XP image browsing utility) so I thought it might
be a fun project to put one together in Ruby.

Doable? W/o too much trouble?

Thanks.
3 Answers

Esmail

Esmail wrote:

> Doable? W/o too much trouble?

really? no one?

Alex Shulgin

On Dec 24, 4:19 pm, Esmail <ebonak_de...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Esmail wrote:
>
> > Doable? W/o too much trouble?
>
> really? no one?

There are plenty of ready-to-use image browsers (freeware and,
occasionally, Free Software) for Windows...

However, if you want some fun, I think writing one might be exactly
what you need. :-)

Then your best choice for GUI is wxWindows, I guess. Yes, it should
be doable, but when it comes to the amount of trouble I'm uncertain.

Good luck!
--
Alex

Michal Suchanek

On 25/12/2007, Alex Shulgin <alex.shulgin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 4:19 pm, Esmail <ebonak_de...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Esmail wrote:
> >
> > > Doable? W/o too much trouble?
> >
> > really? no one?
>
> There are plenty of ready-to-use image browsers (freeware and,
> occasionally, Free Software) for Windows...
>
> However, if you want some fun, I think writing one might be exactly
> what you need. :-)
>
> Then your best choice for GUI is wxWindows, I guess. Yes, it should
> be doable, but when it comes to the amount of trouble I'm uncertain.

Basically what makes some of the image browsers usable are tiny tweaks
that take quite a bit of debugging to get right. With some gui and
image library you can make a window that displays an image quite
easily. However, you need several collection views at least to manage
larger amount of images, exif, basic rotation, batch processing, sane
handling of preferences when going from one image to another and when
restarting the program.

Thanks

Michal