gems that won't install mswin32

Jack Johnson

12/19/2007 6:07:00 PM

Hi, all -

There are a number of gems that I can't get to install native versions on
Windows XP, including win32-api 1.0.5, win32-service 0.6.0, fastthread, and
mongrel_service. Every attempt to install produces an attempted compilation
which fails as I don't have Visual Studio 2003 installed. I see this same
incorrect behavior with rubygems 0.9.4 and 0.9.5. (I've updated to Rails
2.0.2, which necessitated updating to rubygems 0.9.5. I'm running ruby 1.8.6
patchlevel 111.)

Other gems have installed their native versions with no problem.

Thanks,

Jack Johnson

http://www.p... offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups
4 Answers

Luis Lavena

On Dec 19, 3:06 pm, "Jack Johnson" <jjohn...@cyberworlds.com> wrote:
> Hi, all -
>
> There are a number of gems that I can't get to install native versions on
> Windows XP, including win32-api 1.0.5, win32-service 0.6.0, fastthread, and
> mongrel_service. Every attempt to install produces an attempted compilation
> which fails as I don't have Visual Studio 2003 installed. I see this same
> incorrect behavior with rubygems 0.9.4 and 0.9.5. (I've updated to Rails
> 2.0.2, which necessitated updating to rubygems 0.9.5. I'm running ruby 1.8.6
> patchlevel 111.)
>
> Other gems have installed their native versions with no problem.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Jack, you should have searched for this topic before posting:

- Current RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for native platform like mswin32.
- Gems created with 'mswin32' platform will fail.
- Eric and other rubygems developers are working on fix this for
upcoming release of RubyGems, but didn't make it available (you can
checkout the svn repository)
- Rails 2.0.2 gems are broken against 0.9.4 (not backward compatible).
They should have forced a pure ruby (RUBY) platform in their gems
instead of leaving it blank.

I cannot help you on that road, the Rails guys should be aware of this
situation and they must have plans to fix this (at least I hope so).

Luis

Jack Johnson

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Dec 19, 3:06 pm, "Jack Johnson" <jjohn...@cyberworlds.com> wrote:
>> Hi, all -
>>
>> There are a number of gems that I can't get to install native
>> versions on Windows XP, including win32-api 1.0.5, win32-service
>> 0.6.0, fastthread, and mongrel_service. Every attempt to install
>> produces an attempted compilation which fails as I don't have Visual
>> Studio 2003 installed. I see this same incorrect behavior with
>> rubygems 0.9.4 and 0.9.5. (I've updated to Rails
>> 2.0.2, which necessitated updating to rubygems 0.9.5. I'm running
>> ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 111.)
>>
>> Other gems have installed their native versions with no problem.
>>
>> Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>>

> Jack, you should have searched for this topic before posting:
>
> - Current RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for native platform like mswin32.
> - Gems created with 'mswin32' platform will fail.
> - Eric and other rubygems developers are working on fix this for
> upcoming release of RubyGems, but didn't make it available (you can
> checkout the svn repository)
> - Rails 2.0.2 gems are broken against 0.9.4 (not backward compatible).
> They should have forced a pure ruby (RUBY) platform in their gems
> instead of leaving it blank.
>
> I cannot help you on that road, the Rails guys should be aware of this
> situation and they must have plans to fix this (at least I hope so).
>
> Luis

Hi, Luis -

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have searched on the topic, and
posted on parts of it before, but the fact that I (and others) have had the
same issues with rubygems 0.9.4 seems to always get lost along the way. I
was unable to install fastthread etc. with 0.9.4 because of the same issue -
it always wanted to compile. I'm mostly unfamiliar with ruby, so I was
hoping I was just missing something obvious that would allow things to work
again as they used to. I guess I'll just quietly wait for that magic to
happen in some future release.

Thanks,

Jack Johnson
Cyberworlds Inc.
http://www.cyberw...
608-362-0318 x114

On Dec 19, 11:19 pm, "Jack Johnson" <jjohn...@cyberworlds.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi, Luis -
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have searched on the topic, and
> posted on parts of it before, but the fact that I (and others) have had the
> same issues with rubygems 0.9.4 seems to always get lost along the way. I
> was unable to install fastthread etc. with 0.9.4 because of the same issue -
> it always wanted to compile. I'm mostly unfamiliar with ruby, so I was
> hoping I was just missing something obvious that would allow things to work
> again as they used to. I guess I'll just quietly wait for that magic to
> happen in some future release.

Jack, I must apologize,

I did further investigated the issue regarding RubyGems 0.9.5,
Mongrel, fastthread and other gems:

- RubyGems trunk how have the required fixes to properly install and
handle the current gems.

That means no more wrong compilation of mongrel and associated gems
(fastthread)

- Fastthread gem (mswin32 one) bundles the pre-compiled extension, but
by mistake (MY MISTAKE), I missed removing the ext/extconf.rb part of
it, and rubygems try to compile it every time.

I'm fixing it right now and waiting to hear back from Tom Copland
about replacing the current gem on rubyforge.

Sorry if my previous post sounds harsh, but this was asked a lot of
times in the list, also raised in the RubyonRails blog and some other
posts around the web describe the problem.

This is my blog post (first english post) about this:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2007/12/19/latest-rubygems-and-rails-is-a-dea...

Regards and please excuse the sound of my previous reply.

Jack Johnson

Luis Lavena wrote:
<SNIP>
> Jack, I must apologize,
>
> I did further investigated the issue regarding RubyGems 0.9.5,
> Mongrel, fastthread and other gems:
>
> - RubyGems trunk how have the required fixes to properly install and
> handle the current gems.
>
> That means no more wrong compilation of mongrel and associated gems
> (fastthread)
>
> - Fastthread gem (mswin32 one) bundles the pre-compiled extension, but
> by mistake (MY MISTAKE), I missed removing the ext/extconf.rb part of
> it, and rubygems try to compile it every time.
>
> I'm fixing it right now and waiting to hear back from Tom Copland
> about replacing the current gem on rubyforge.
>
> Sorry if my previous post sounds harsh, but this was asked a lot of
> times in the list, also raised in the RubyonRails blog and some other
> posts around the web describe the problem.
>
> This is my blog post (first english post) about this:
>
> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2007/12/19/latest-rubygems-and-rails-is-a-dea...
>
> Regards and please excuse the sound of my previous reply.

Hi, Luis -

No worries, no offense taken - and thank you for checking further & your
prompt response!

Thanks,

Jack Johnson
Cyberworlds Inc.