gem update --system, now my local gems are missing

andy

12/17/2007 11:12:00 PM

hi,

I just did a "gem update --system" to 0.9.5, but now when I do "gem
list" I get nothing.

The gems are still there, I can "ls" them.

I seem to recall seeing other people have this issue, but I don't recall
the fix. Nor is my googling turning up anything useful.

thanks

2 Answers

andy

Andy Koch wrote:
> hi,
>
> I just did a "gem update --system" to 0.9.5, but now when I do "gem
> list" I get nothing.
>
> The gems are still there, I can "ls" them.
>
> I seem to recall seeing other people have this issue, but I don't recall
> the fix. Nor is my googling turning up anything useful.
>
> thanks

I think I see my problem,

my gems are in '/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/'

but now gem is looking in '/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/'

so I exported GEM_HOME in my .bashrc to my place.

probably the real problem is that I've got a Debian that had rubygems
installed from package, but now I just ran roughshod over that install...

Eric Hodel

On Dec 17, 2007, at 15:28 PM, Andy Koch wrote:
> Andy Koch wrote:
>> hi,
>> I just did a "gem update --system" to 0.9.5, but now when I do "gem
>> list" I get nothing.
>> The gems are still there, I can "ls" them.
>> I seem to recall seeing other people have this issue, but I don't
>> recall the fix. Nor is my googling turning up anything useful.
>> thanks
>
> I think I see my problem,
>
> my gems are in '/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/'
>
> but now gem is looking in '/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/'
>
> so I exported GEM_HOME in my .bashrc to my place.
>
> probably the real problem is that I've got a Debian that had
> rubygems installed from package, but now I just ran roughshod over
> that install...

Yup. Don't do that. If you didn't install RubyGems yourself, don't
upgrade it yourself.