[ANN] Utility Belt version 1.0.5 - hash math and Windows documentation

Giles Bowkett

12/16/2007 4:51:00 AM

Lots of bug fixes in the past few days. This dot release is worth
highlighting because it adds something I think is pretty cool.

You can now do addition and subtraction on hashes in Utility Belt:

{:a => :b} + {:c => :d} == {:a => :b, :c => :d}

{:a => :b, :c => :d} - {:c => :d} == {:a => :b}

{:a => :b, :c => :d} - :c == {:a => :b}

Also added .irbrc info for Windows users.

Small changes, but nifty ones. Upcoming at some point in future will
be the ability to cherry-pick utilities from the belt. Also possibly
more flexibility for the Pastie method and more power for the
interactive editor methods.

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

3 Answers

Pat Maddox

On Dec 15, 2007 8:51 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lots of bug fixes in the past few days. This dot release is worth
> highlighting because it adds something I think is pretty cool.
>
> You can now do addition and subtraction on hashes in Utility Belt:
>
> {:a => :b} + {:c => :d} == {:a => :b, :c => :d}
>
> {:a => :b, :c => :d} - {:c => :d} == {:a => :b}
>
> {:a => :b, :c => :d} - :c == {:a => :b}
>
> Also added .irbrc info for Windows users.
>
> Small changes, but nifty ones. Upcoming at some point in future will
> be the ability to cherry-pick utilities from the belt. Also possibly
> more flexibility for the Pastie method and more power for the
> interactive editor methods.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
> Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
> Tumblelog: http://giles....

Love the hash arithmetic. Nice job.

Pat

Robert Dober

On Dec 16, 2007 5:51 AM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lots of bug fixes in the past few days. This dot release is worth
<snip>
Any URLs Gilles?
Robert

--

http://ruby-smalltalk.blo...

---
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,
it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Schopenhauer (attr.)

Giles Bowkett

> > Lots of bug fixes in the past few days. This dot release is worth
> <snip>
> Any URLs Gilles?

URLs are for gem install utility_belt to read!

But if you want some:

http://utilitybelt.ruby...
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ut...
http://gilesbowkett.bl.../2007/12/utility-belt-released-versio...

Actually, I figured something out this morning. I got a bug report
involving Rails. Pretty weird, loading my gem made a Rails app
twitchy. (Even though the app didn't use the gem.) Rails appears to be
short-term fix for it. So there might be another dot release later
today.

(It's not really a fix, though, it's more of a dodge.)