Smallest device to code ruby on?

Casimir P

12/15/2007 11:13:00 AM

Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?

I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
dvorak or similar input sys.

--
Casimir Pohjanraito
Art Portfolio: http://csmr.dreamh...

Dane Jensen

There is a ruby package for the iphone and iPod touch. I don't think
you'll find a smaller device to run it. Of course, it doesn't have a
true qwerty keyboard, so that might be a turnoff. On the other hand,
if you were looking for an excuse to get one or the other....

I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet though. Has anyone else
tried it?

Hopefully when the dev kit comes out Apple will release an official
version.

HTH,
-Dane

On Dec 15, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Casimir P
<pikselNOSPAMMi@welNOSPMAMho.com> wrote:

> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have
> qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.
>
> --
> Casimir Pohjanraito
> Art Portfolio: http://csmr.dreamh...

Michael T. Richter

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 20:15 +0900, Casimir P wrote:
> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.

The Nokia N800 has had Ruby ported to it, complete with UI bindings.

alterego

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:15:01PM +0900, Casimir P wrote:
> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.
>
> --
> Casimir Pohjanraito
> Art Portfolio: http://csmr.dreamh...

I've been working on getting Ruby integrated with the open source development
platform Maemo, which is used by Nokia in their "Internet Tablet" range. I'd
seriously suggest you look into the Nokia 770, which is super cheap now. Also,
the Nokia N800 and N810's are sweet. Though more expensive.

http:/...

http://nok...
http://noki...
http://noki...

Giles Bowkett

Technically you can code Ruby on remote servers with a T-Mobile
Sidekick if you've got the ssh client installed, but in practice it's
very slow.

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

marc

Casimir P said...
> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.

I run Ruby on my Symbian S60/3 mobile - a Nokia E61, as it happens.

It'd be even better with a JRuby JVM. Maybe Android will go that way.
And if Google are hiring... :-)

--
Cheers,
Marc

Joel VanderWerf

Casimir P wrote:
> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.

There's not many devices smaller than gumstix. They are cheap, too. I've
used ruby on them for some wireless network experiments. But you will
have to attach a console over a serial cable or log in by ssh over ethernet.

Giles Bowkett

> There's not many devices smaller than gumstix. They are cheap, too. I've
> used ruby on them for some wireless network experiments. But you will
> have to attach a console over a serial cable or log in by ssh over ethernet.

I think Ed Borasky got Rails running on a Gumstix at one point. Don't
quote me on that, though. There was a thread about Gumstix a while
back.

--

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:13:02 +0000, Casimir P wrote:

> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?

Thanks for all the replies. 8) You have given me a lot to look into. Not
sure if any of these was really what I was looking for. Maübe.

Oh btw I didn't mean to actually compile ruby. Usually it is interpreted
(yeah I know that technically one can compile ruby, too).

--
Casimir Pohjanraito
Art Portfolio: http://csmr.dreamh...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Giles Bowkett wrote:
>> There's not many devices smaller than gumstix. They are cheap, too. I've
>> used ruby on them for some wireless network experiments. But you will
>> have to attach a console over a serial cable or log in by ssh over ethernet.
>
> I think Ed Borasky got Rails running on a Gumstix at one point. Don't
> quote me on that, though. There was a thread about Gumstix a while
> back.

I got Ruby running on a gumstix but not Rails. Which reminds me, my
annual holiday hackfest is coming up and I need something to do -- like
get Ruby 1.9 running on a gumstix.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Casimir P wrote:
> Whats the smallest gadget you can code (and compile) ruby on?
>
> I am looking for something that could be used in the bus.. But is
> hopefully inexpensive and very small. OF course it should have qwerty or
> dvorak or similar input sys.

Well ...

1. If you can actually use the keyboard and command line on a Zaurus, it
will run Ruby. If you have friends in Japan, you might be able to get a
clamshell-style Zaurus from one of them, and they are a lot easier to use.

2. An ASUS Eee will do it, if you can find one. I think everyone who
actually had any for sale is sold out, but by mid-January there may be
some new supply.

3. It isn't natively installed, but you can install and run Ruby on one
of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) laptop computers. Until December 31,
if you're in the US or Canada, you can give one and get one.