Good Ruby IDE for Debian Linux?

Steckly, Ron

12/14/2007 3:32:00 PM

Hi all,

=20

I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
Anyone want to make some recommendations?

=20

Ron

=20

21 Answers

Chris Cable

Aptana Studio is a great IDE!

http://www.a...

Chris

On Dec 14, 2007 7:31 AM, Steckly, Ron <rsteckly@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> Anyone want to make some recommendations?
>

> Ron

Joshua Schairbaum

On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> Anyone want to make some recommendations?
>

> Ron

Ron,

Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.

I use Emacs and really enjoy it.

Josh

steffen_kory

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
> On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> > Anyone want to make some recommendations?
> >

> > Ron
> >

> Ron,
>
> Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
> NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.
>
> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
>
> Josh
There is also ActiveState's Komodo

gemblon (t.b.)

unknown wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
>> >
>> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
>>
>> Josh
> There is also ActiveState's Komodo

I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.

MonkeeSage

On Dec 14, 9:31 am, "Steckly, Ron" <rstec...@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> Anyone want to make some recommendations?
>
> Ron

G/VIM is great, if you can learn its "strange" key-mappings and
"modal" editing.

Regards,
Jordan

Dejan Dimic

On Dec 14, 5:20 pm, "gemblon (t.b.)" <gemb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> unknown wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
>
> >> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
>
> >> Josh
> > There is also ActiveState's Komodo
>
> I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
> I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.

I use Aptana on my XP and Ubuntu.

Damjan Rems

I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.

At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
there.

by
TheR

Venkat

"gemblon (t.b.)" <gemblon@yahoo.com> wrote
> I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
> I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.

I tried NetBeans.I do not like their syntax coloring. This is a show stopper
for me. I can customize it if I have patience to click 100 times. :-)

Other than that, I like their debugging implementation over Aptana. Aptana
seems to work better in Windows than on Linux.

But both of them have coad bloat, feature bloat. But they are just out of
beta. So, there is time for improvement.

I mostly use Aptana.

-Venkat

Christophe Mckeon

i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
fairly recently, and blogged about it.

http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogspot.com/2007/10/gedit-for-ruby-and-everything-el...

great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.

_c

Damjan Rems wrote:

> I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
> NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.
>
> At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
> there.
>

> by
> TheR

Dejan Dimic

On Dec 14, 11:44 pm, Christophe Mckeon <chromatoph...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
> fairly recently, and blogged about it.
>
> http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogspot.com/2007/10/gedit-fo......
>
> great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.
>
> _c
>
> Damjan Rems wrote:
>
> > I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
> > NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.
>
> > At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
> > there.
>
> > by
> > TheR

Moved with this post I install once again NetBeans 6.0.
I must say that I am very pleased with it.
Last time I was testing the some beta version and it was not match for
Aptana IDE.

Even I use Eclipse (Aptana) a lot I will stick to NetBeans for a while
to see is it an IDE for me. Currently, I am impressed with code
competition.

You should try it too.