[ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

Dave Thomas

12/13/2007 10:54:00 PM

Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

The book's home page is at http://pr.../tit...

Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

is done.

Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

stabilized.

We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

PDFs were bought from us).

To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
in to your existing account) on http://pr.... You'll find =20
buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Enjoy

Dave Thomas

9 Answers

Ben Mabey

Dave Thomas wrote:
> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
> that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
>
> The book's home page is at http://pr.../tit...
>
> Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going
> through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120
> pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages
> with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are
> updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second
> edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book
> is done.
>
> Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will
> track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we
> move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has
> stabilized.
>
> We?re experimenting with something different for this book. With all
> our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
> to be bought again. With this edition, we?re offering substantial
> discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
> PDFs were bought from us).
>
> To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
> books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log in
> to your existing account) on http://pr.... You'll find buttons
> on your account page which let you buy at a discount.
>

> Enjoy
>

> Dave Thomas

Did you mean:

http://pr.../titles/ruby3

and not

http://pr.../tit...?

Thanks, this looks great.

-Ben

Rick DeNatale

On 12/13/07, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> wrote:
> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
> that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
>
> The book's home page is at http://pr.../tit...

Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
http://pragprog....

The real url is
http://pr.../tit...

> We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
> our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
> to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
> discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
> PDFs were bought from us).
>
> To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
> books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
> in to your existing account) on http://pr.... You'll find
> buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Oh no! My dog-eared copy of the 2nd edition was bought from a local
merchant of dead tree products. Doesn't make me any less a loyal
customer. ;-(

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Dave Thomas

> Did you mean:
>
> http://pragprog.com/ti...
>
> and not
>
> http://pragprog.com/titl...

Sigh: you have no idea how many times I read that....

Yes.

And I've posted a corrected version.

Sorry

Dave

Ken Bloom

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:07:34 -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On 12/13/07, Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> wrote:
>> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
>> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
>> that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
>>
>> The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/tit...
>

> Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
> http://pragprog....
>
> The real url is
> http://pragprog.com/tit...

I think you just fell down a Freudian staircase. That just corrected an
incorrect URL by posting the same URL.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu...

Rick DeNatale

On 12/13/07, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:07:34 -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> > Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
> > http://pragprog....
> >
> > The real url is
> > http://pragprog..../rails3
>
> I think you just fell down a Freudian staircase. That just corrected an
> incorrect URL by posting the same URL.

Probably because I've been re-reading "Goedel, Escher, Bach" lately.
Another strange loop. <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Marc Heiler

Hopefully you guys can add some extra helpful pages especially about the
Ruby-C bridge. For me this would be the most interesting aspect for
various reasons.

mdiam

On Dec 14, 3:57 am, Marc Heiler <sheve...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Hopefully you guys can add some extra helpful pages especially about the
> Ruby-C bridge. For me this would be the most interesting aspect for
> various reasons.

And I also hope that the Tk chapter has been updated with new ttk
(Tile widget)
which is provide with the new Tk-8.5 version.
The question is which from ruby-1.9 or tcl/tk-8.5 will be release
first ??

tcl/tk-8.5rc2 has just been released, so probably we'll have both
ruby-1.9 and wish-8.5 for Christmas :-)

(should be another subject?...)
I also hope that the ruby-tk gurus test the binding of the
"to be realeased" Tk-8.5 against ruby-1.9.
(I'd dream that the Tk toolkit **is** provided with ruby lib so that
ruby
would provide a GUI out of the box)

John Maclean

Does this book continue with the jukebox example?=20

On Fri, 14
Dec 2007 07:53:52 +0900 Dave Thomas <dave@pragprog.com> wrote:

> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to
> announce that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
>=20
> The book's home page is at http://pr.../tit...
>=20
> Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and
> going through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first
> 120 pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some
> pages with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red
> pages are updated content, and the gray pages are content from the
> second edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until
> the book is done.
>=20
> Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
> track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
> move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby
> has stabilized.
>=20
> We=E2=80=99re experimenting with something different for this book. With =
all =20
> our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and
> has to be bought again. With this edition, we=E2=80=99re offering
> substantial discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if
> those books or PDFs were bought from us).
>=20
> To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
> books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
> in to your existing account) on http://pr.... You'll find =20
> buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Enjoy
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Dave Thomas
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Regards,

John Maclean
MSc (DIC)
+44 7739 171 531

Rick DeNatale

On Dec 28, 2007 2:56 AM, John Maclean <john@jayeola.org> wrote:
> Does this book continue with the jukebox example?

Yes

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby