RubyGems 0.9.5 ignoring spec.bindir

Suraj Kurapati

12/10/2007 3:03:00 AM

Hello,

I want to make a gem for a small (< 200 lines) project of mine. The
entire project is stored in one Ruby source file, so I don't want to
create a separate "bin/" directory. I read about RubyGems' bindir
parameter which allows you to override the "bin/" directory requirement
and basically put your executable anywhere inside your project
directory.

The problem is that RubyGems 0.9.5 is ignoring my

spec.bindir = '.'

assignment and looking for a "bin/" directory instead.

I tried using

spec.bindir = nil

but that does not work either.

---

Here is a complete example to reproduce the problem:

$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 sun sun 371 2007-12-09 18:53 Rakefile
-rwxr-xr-x 1 sun sun 39 2007-12-09 18:53 foobar*

$ ./foobar
hello world

$ cat foobar
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
puts "hello world"

$ cat Rakefile
require 'rake/gempackagetask'

spec = Gem::Specification.new do |s|
s.name = 'foobar'
s.version = '0'
s.summary = 'summary'
s.files = 'foobar'
s.executables = 'foobar'
s.bindir = '.' # our executable is not inside 'bin/'
end

# does nothing unless block given, dunno why...
Rake::GemPackageTask.new(spec) do end

$ rake -T
(in /home/sun/lab/gemspec)
rake clobber_package # Remove package products
rake gem # Build the gem file foobar-0.gem
rake package # Build all the packages
rake repackage # Force a rebuild of the package files

$ rake gem
(in /home/sun/lab/gemspec)
Successfully built RubyGem
Name: foobar
Version: 0
File: foobar-0.gem

$ gem install pkg/foobar-0.gem -i my_out_dir
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
No such file or directory -
/home/sun/lab/gemspec/my_out_dir/gems/foobar-0/bin/foobar

See this error? Why is it looking for a "bin/" directory when I
assigned spec.bindir?!

Thanks for your consideration.

Suraj Kurapati

Suraj Kurapati wrote:
> The problem is that RubyGems 0.9.5 is ignoring my
>
> spec.bindir = '.'
>
> assignment and looking for a "bin/" directory instead.

I filed a bug report about this on the RubyGems bug tracker:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16202&group_id=126&am...

Robin Miller

anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <d6fc452e-8f19-4da1-9447-579a0e5efa8b@googlegroups.com>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:08:56 PM UTC-8, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>>
>>> The Evil FedGov continues to be evil simply for the sake
>>> of being evil, setting off a bomb in Texas Town to further
>>> their evil plan of... being more evil?
>>>
>>> Evil FedGov Mad Scientist Guy shows up and knows about
>>> the Magic Nanobots and threatens Dr.Dad until he spills the
>>> beans about Astrally Projecting Zombie Google Guy, but he
>>> spontaneously combusts a couple of Redshits and escapes
>>> with the help of No Longer Evil Again Monroe.
>>>
>>> BrBa Gus does some stuff just to keep him in the episode.
>>
>> This may be the stupidest show to ever air on TV. :(
>
> Even I don't watch it.

But I do!

:-)

(The only sci fi show I have been unable to watch is Defiance on Syfy.)

--Robin

jt

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 22:27:25 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>In article <d6fc452e-8f19-4da1-9447-579a0e5efa8b@googlegroups.com>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:08:56 PM UTC-8, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>>
>> > The Evil FedGov continues to be evil simply for the sake
>> > of being evil, setting off a bomb in Texas Town to further
>> > their evil plan of... being more evil?
>> >
>> > Evil FedGov Mad Scientist Guy shows up and knows about
>> > the Magic Nanobots and threatens Dr.Dad until he spills the
>> > beans about Astrally Projecting Zombie Google Guy, but he
>> > spontaneously combusts a couple of Redshits and escapes
>> > with the help of No Longer Evil Again Monroe.
>> >
>> > BrBa Gus does some stuff just to keep him in the episode.
>>
>> This may be the stupidest show to ever air on TV. :(
>
>Even I don't watch it.

I'm terrible for not being able to give up on shows I start to hate. I
always say I need to see it through for closure. Not this one. It wasn't
even worth the snark value I got from it anymore.

Anim8rFSK

In article <j5bm79tpompqpr0t728h82d4je0odcpkqk@4ax.com>,
EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 22:27:25 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <d6fc452e-8f19-4da1-9447-579a0e5efa8b@googlegroups.com>,

> >> This may be the stupidest show to ever air on TV. :(
> >
> >Even I don't watch it.
>
> I'm terrible for not being able to give up on shows I start to hate. I
> always say I need to see it through for closure. Not this one. It wasn't
> even worth the snark value I got from it anymore.

+1

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

cloud dreamer

On 06/11/2013 11:31 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:08:56 PM UTC-8, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>
>> The Evil FedGov continues to be evil simply for the sake
>> of being evil, setting off a bomb in Texas Town to further
>> their evil plan of... being more evil?
>>
>> Evil FedGov Mad Scientist Guy shows up and knows about
>> the Magic Nanobots and threatens Dr.Dad until he spills the
>> beans about Astrally Projecting Zombie Google Guy, but he
>> spontaneously combusts a couple of Redshits and escapes
>> with the help of No Longer Evil Again Monroe.
>>
>> BrBa Gus does some stuff just to keep him in the episode.
>
> This may be the stupidest show to ever air on TV. :(

No. There was Chuck. And CSI Miami.

..

Ian J. Ball

In article <l5f9hf$lvt$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
Robin Miller <Not.My@Real.Address.com> wrote:

> (The only sci fi show I have been unable to watch is Defiance on Syfy.)

That's because "Defiance" is *awful* - like "Revolution", I'm flushing
"Defiance" and won't be bothering with season #2...

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".

Anim8rFSK

In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-FCB87A.06232607112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <l5f9hf$lvt$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
> Robin Miller <Not.My@Real.Address.com> wrote:
>
> > (The only sci fi show I have been unable to watch is Defiance on Syfy.)
>
> That's because "Defiance" is *awful* - like "Revolution", I'm flushing
> "Defiance" and won't be bothering with season #2...

So the lesson to be learned here is, avoid shows with holes in the St.
Louis Arch?

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Dano

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

On 06/11/2013 11:31 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:08:56 PM UTC-8, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>
>> The Evil FedGov continues to be evil simply for the sake
>> of being evil, setting off a bomb in Texas Town to further
>> their evil plan of... being more evil?
>>
>> Evil FedGov Mad Scientist Guy shows up and knows about
>> the Magic Nanobots and threatens Dr.Dad until he spills the
>> beans about Astrally Projecting Zombie Google Guy, but he
>> spontaneously combusts a couple of Redshits and escapes
>> with the help of No Longer Evil Again Monroe.
>>
>> BrBa Gus does some stuff just to keep him in the episode.
>
> This may be the stupidest show to ever air on TV. :(

No. There was Chuck. And CSI Miami.

Oh come on. You can do much better (worse?) than those two. Those are just
mediocre. You're talking about a medium that features all variety of "real"
housewives...Honey Boo Boos...crappy singing and dance competitions...not to
mention quite a few sitcoms that can't generate their own laughter and still
overuse laugh tracks to tell the audience when to laugh.

jt

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 06:23:26 -0800, "Ian J. Ball"
<ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:

>In article <l5f9hf$lvt$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
> Robin Miller <Not.My@Real.Address.com> wrote:
>
>> (The only sci fi show I have been unable to watch is Defiance on Syfy.)
>
>That's because "Defiance" is *awful* - like "Revolution", I'm flushing
>"Defiance" and won't be bothering with season #2...

Hah. That's another I gave up on after about 4-5 episodes. Maybe I'm
getting better about giving up on shitty programs like this. There are
just too many other things to watch rather than hope the crappy ones
improve.

Anim8rFSK

In article <p2hn79t5i3iiibl0vl786gg7uch97hb5tr@4ax.com>,
EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 06:23:26 -0800, "Ian J. Ball"
> <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In article <l5f9hf$lvt$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
> > Robin Miller <Not.My@Real.Address.com> wrote:
> >
> >> (The only sci fi show I have been unable to watch is Defiance on Syfy.)
> >
> >That's because "Defiance" is *awful* - like "Revolution", I'm flushing
> >"Defiance" and won't be bothering with season #2...
>
> Hah. That's another I gave up on after about 4-5 episodes. Maybe I'm
> getting better about giving up on shitty programs like this. There are
> just too many other things to watch rather than hope the crappy ones
> improve.

Or maybe the shows are just so shitty now they're falling even below our
thresholds.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?