handle a special foramt error when importing csv

Raimon Fs

12/9/2007 8:03:00 PM

hello,

I have to import lots of csv files, and sometimes, there's one with the
csv that is not quite good formatted, and Ruby send a:

CSV::IllegalFormatError in DadeController#import_file_data_ajax
CSV::IllegalFormatError

I'm trying to handle the error with

begin
# Exceptions raised by this code will
# be caught by the following rescue clause

... some code ...

rescue Exception
$stderr.print "IO failed: " + $!

... some code ...

raise

but the error/exception never raises ...

I tried with SystemCAllError, StandardError, Exception, ...

The error happens in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:639:in
`get_row'

because the file hasn't the expected formatted, it's not a csv file, but
the file has an extension of csv, that's why I want to catch those
exceptions ...

thanks,

regards

raimon

Michael Guterl

On Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM, Raimon Fs <coder@montx.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have to import lots of csv files, and sometimes, there's one with the
> .csv that is not quite good formatted, and Ruby send a:
>
> CSV::IllegalFormatError in DadeController#import_file_data_ajax
> CSV::IllegalFormatError
>
> I'm trying to handle the error with
>
> begin
> # Exceptions raised by this code will
> # be caught by the following rescue clause
>
> ... some code ...
>

> rescue Exception

try this,
rescue CSV::IllegalFormatError

> $stderr.print "IO failed: " + $!
>
> ... some code ...
>
> raise
>

> but the error/exception never raises ...
>
> I tried with SystemCAllError, StandardError, Exception, ...
>
> The error happens in:
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:639:in
> `get_row'
>
> because the file hasn't the expected formatted, it's not a csv file, but
> the file has an extension of csv, that's why I want to catch those
> exceptions ...
>
> thanks,
>
> regards
>

> raimon

HTH,
Michael Guterl

Raimon Fs

Michael Guterl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM, Raimon Fs <coder@montx.com> wrote:
>
>> begin
>> # Exceptions raised by this code will
>> # be caught by the following rescue clause
>>
>> ... some code ...
>>

>> rescue Exception
>

> try this,
> rescue CSV::IllegalFormatError

thanks, I'll try that ...

I wasn't aware that I could simply catch those errors, beacuse I would
like a more general error, because I don't know in advance how many
errors I'm going to find ...

regards,

rai