[ADV] Advanced Rails Recipes in Beta

Mike Clark

12/7/2007 3:35:00 PM

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the commercial. Now that the much-anticipated Rails 2.0 is
out, I'm pleased to announce that Advanced Rails Recipes is now
available in beta form:
http://pragprog.com/tit...

This has been an especially fun project because the book is a
collection of recipes from folks around the Rails community. We're
filling this volume the same way my family filled our recipe box in
our kitchen. Advanced Rails Recipes includes tasty recipes from many
great chefs. These are people you trust who have created applications
you may have sampled. This book is an informal survey of what some of
the best developers in the Rails community think is advanced and
important.

The current beta has 42 recipes, and there are another 30 or so on the
way. All the recipes were baked with Rails 2.0 and Capistrano 2.1.0.

Thanks to all of you who contributed recipes, and thanks for enjoying
our dishes!

Mike

12 Answers

yudi

that means Amazon is shipping my pre-order now :-)

--
Do not be afraid of Change.

ltlee1

On Feb 27, 10:15 am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:35:41 -0800 (PST), "ltl...@hotmail.com"
>

> <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 24, 8:00 am, "~" <~...@happy.com> wrote:
> >> The Dalai Lama's Treasure Chest: New Evidence from Wikileaks Cables
>
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S...

> >The following is excerpted from IN EXILE FROM THE LAND OF
> >SNOWS. The author John F. Avedon had worked closely with the DL on
> >mulitple occassions.
>
> >"Over a thousand pack animals had followed the Tibetan ruler's 1950
> >flight from Lhasa to Yatung, each laden with 120 pound of treasure.
> >Sent to Sikkim as a precaution in case Tenzin Gyatso would be forced
> >to flee Tibet, forty mules bore gold, six hundred carried silver and
> >the remaining animals, sacks of centuries -old coins. Though the Dalai
> >Lama returned to the Potala, this relatively small share of his
> >labrang or household treasure did not. Gurarded by a single unknown
> >Lepcha sentry, it remained hidden for nine years in the Choegyal of
> >Sikkims' abandoned stables located on the hillside below the palace in
> >Gangtok. When before dawn one morning in 1960 a long convoy of trucks
> >departed the capital for Calcutta, half the population of Sikkim awoke
> >to what most imagined was the sight of their king fleeting his own
> >country. Only after the treasure was safely deposited in the
> >underground vault of a Calcutta bank did the truth emerge, spawning
> >rampant speculation in India's press over the "God-King's fabulou
> >fortune.""
>
> >Concerning the value of gold and silver, the following is from the
> >Toledo
> >Blade archived by google.com
>
> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19600406&id=......
>
> >One bank official said 8,000,000 USD at 1960 when gold was $35 an
> >ounze.
>
> There is not one ounce of fact in this third party hearsay.

I fully understand such reports undermine the DL's credibility because
he
told the US government that he did not bring any treasure out of
Tibet.
However, you need to be more specific on what did you really object
about these independent reports if the DL's honesty is your concern.

Were they written to demonized the DL?
Were they mistaken? Or were they making thing up?
Did Reuters report Adrienne Farrel made up things like the following?

"But already about 3,500,000 rupees ($700,000) worth of silver has
reached the market and the proceeds are being invested."

If so, to what end?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19600406&id=...AJ&sjid=_wAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2990,5011054
(if the link does not return to the right spot, the April 6, 1960
article is at the lower half of page 14)

> ~~~
> This PGP signature only certifies the sender and date of the message.
> It implies no approval from the administrators of nym.mixmin.net.
> Date: Mon Feb 27 15:15:46 2012 GMT
> From: va...@nym.mixmin.net

Vajra

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:09:46 -0800 (PST), "ltlee1@hotmail.com"
<ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 10:15?am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:35:41 -0800 (PST), "ltl...@hotmail.com"
>>

>> <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >The following is excerpted from IN EXILE FROM THE LAND OF
>> >SNOWS. The author John F. Avedon had worked closely with the DL on
>> >mulitple occassions.
>>
>> >"Over a thousand pack animals had followed the Tibetan ruler's 1950
>> >flight from Lhasa to Yatung, each laden with 120 pound of treasure.
>> >Sent to Sikkim as a precaution in case Tenzin Gyatso would be forced
>> >to flee Tibet, forty mules bore gold, six hundred carried silver and
>> >the remaining animals, sacks of centuries -old coins. Though the Dalai
>> >Lama returned to the Potala, this relatively small share of his
>> >labrang or household treasure did not. Gurarded by a single unknown
>> >Lepcha sentry, it remained hidden for nine years in the Choegyal of
>> >Sikkims' abandoned stables located on the hillside below the palace in
>> >Gangtok. When before dawn one morning in 1960 a long convoy of trucks
>> >departed the capital for Calcutta, half the population of Sikkim awoke
>> >to what most imagined was the sight of their king fleeting his own
>> >country. Only after the treasure was safely deposited in the
>> >underground vault of a Calcutta bank did the truth emerge, spawning
>> >rampant speculation in India's press over the "God-King's fabulou
>> >fortune.""
>>
>> >Concerning the value of gold and silver, the following is from the
>> >Toledo
>> >Blade archived by google.com
>>
>> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19600406&id=......
>>
>> >One bank official said 8,000,000 USD at 1960 when gold was $35 an
>> >ounze.
>>
>> There is not one ounce of fact in this third party hearsay.
>
>I fully understand such reports undermine the DL's credibility because
>he
>told the US government that he did not bring any treasure out of
>Tibet.
>However, you need to be more specific on what did you really object
>about these independent reports if the DL's honesty is your concern.
>
>Were they written to demonized the DL?
>Were they mistaken? Or were they making thing up?
>Did Reuters report Adrienne Farrel made up things like the following?
>
>"But already about 3,500,000 rupees ($700,000) worth of silver has
>reached the market and the proceeds are being invested."
>
>If so, to what end?
>
>http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19600406&id=...AJ&sjid=_wAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2990,5011054
>(if the link does not return to the right spot, the April 6, 1960
>article is at the lower half of page 14)
>>
>> ~~~
>> This PGP signature only certifies the sender and date of the message.
>> It implies no approval from the administrators of nym.mixmin.net.
>> Date: Mon Feb 27 15:15:46 2012 GMT
>> From: va...@nym.mixmin.net

We have this at the beginning: "The following is excerpted from IN
EXILE FROM THE LAND OF SNOWS. The author John F. Avedon had worked
closely with the DL on multiple occasions." What this is trying to do
is connect Avedon and His Holiness in some sort of close relationship.
It doesn't. There are many people in the world who have worked closely
with His Holiness on multiple occasions and they wouldn't know shit
about events in his past.

The whole story is full of holes. I have no doubt His Holiness brought
valuables out of Tibet so as not to have it fall into the hands of the
communists. Any sensible person would. We are talking about the
government of Tibet as it was then. Do you think the Hans would have
left valuables for the Japanese to loot? I don't think so. If they
could get it out, they would.

The amounts mentioned above are questionable because they are opinions
of people who didn't actually see anything and it's mostly third and
fourth hand. The only person who has a fair idea of the amounts is His
Holiness and, as has been said in the newspaper article, he ain't
talking about it.

In the quote from Avedon's book he says "Guarded by a single unknown
Lepcha sentry". Unknown? What's that mean? In the newspaper article it
says "guarded by six Tibetans and a single Sikkimese sentry." Who do
we believe? Small point but the whole story is like that.

- From the newspaper, "Other Tibetans have claimed it needed 1,000 mules
to bring the treasure from Lhasa to Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim, in
1950 and that 10 aircraft were chartered to carry it to Calcutta last
December. They maintain that the treasure may be worth up to
130,000,000 rupees. The Dalai Lama describes these reports as
fantastic but so far has declined to disclose the value of the
treasure."

"_Other Tibetans_ have claimed it needed 1,000 mules compared with
Avedon stating as a fact "Over a thousand pack animals had followed
the Tibetan ruler's 1950 flight from Lhasa to Yatung, each laden with
120 pound of treasure." Who were these faceless "other Tibetans"? How
can we trust what is said by unknown, vague people? Just like
newspapers today say, "a source told us".?? Where did 120 pounds per
animal come from? What can we draw from it? There were a lot of pack
animals carrying 'stuff.' That's it.

I'll stick with the Buddha who said, "Believe nothing, no matter where
you read it or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and
your own common sense."

~~~
Date: Tue Feb 28 08:34:25 2012 GMT
From: vajra@nym.mixmin.net

ltlee1

On Feb 28, 3:34 am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:

> [...]
> December. They maintain that the treasure may be worth up to
> 130,000,000 rupees. The Dalai Lama describes these reports as
> fantastic but so far has declined to disclose the value of the
> treasure."
>
> "_Other Tibetans_ have claimed it needed 1,000 mules compared with
> Avedon stating as a fact "Over a thousand pack animals had followed
> the Tibetan ruler's 1950 flight from Lhasa to Yatung, each laden with
> 120 pound of treasure." Who were these faceless "other Tibetans"? How
> can we trust what is said by unknown, vague people? Just like
> newspapers today say, "a source told us".??  Where did 120 pounds per
> animal come from? What can we draw from it? There were a lot of pack
> animals carrying 'stuff.' That's it.
>
> I'll stick with the Buddha who said, "Believe nothing, no matter where
> you read it or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and

Thank you for sharing your view on John F. Avedon and Adrienne
Farrell's depictions. How about the following from excerpted from "The
Struggle for Modern Tibet: The Autobiography of Tashi Tsering"?

‘In 1950, when it had seemed like a Chinese invasion was imminent,
the Dalai Lama’s substantial stocks of gold and silver had been
transported out of the country to safety in Sikkim. During the 1950s,
though the Dalai Lama himself was in Tibet, the gold and silver
remained in one of the storehouses of the maharaja of Sikkim. The
Chinese had asked for its return but had not made an issue of it at
the time. Following the Lhasa Uprising and the flight of the Dalai
Lama, they claimed that the money was not the Dalai Lama’s personal
fortune but belonged to the country–which they now considered to
belong to them. At that point the Tibetan leaders decided it was time
to secure their treasure more permanently and farther away from the
border; and because of my association with Gyalola [Gyalo Thondup, the
Dalai Lama’s brother], I found myself involved. It was quite an
operation.’

‘The gold and silver were in the form of coins and ingots. When I
became involved, the gold and silver were being hand-loaded onto
trucks in Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim, and driven south to
Siliguri, the location of the nearest airstrip. At the airport the
literally millions of dollars’ worth of gold were loaded onto Dakota
cargo planes and flown to Calcutta.’

‘When this precious cargo reached Calcutta, the gold was
immediately put into the banks. But for a while the silver was stored
in a single room on the third floor of a trusted Tibetan merchant’s
house. It was my responsibility to stand guard over it, and for nearly
a month I stood sentinel in a silent room full of coins and odd pieces
of silver.’

Do you dispute Tashi Tsering's seemingly first hand description
published?
How about the last sentence: "I stood sentinel in a silent room full
of coins and odd pieces of silver"?
Does that not somehow answer your concern with Avedon's "Guarded by a
single unknown Lepcha sentry" that vast treasure was at times guarded
by single person?

bmoore

On Feb 28, 12:34 am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
> I'll stick with the Buddha who said, "Believe nothing, no matter where
> you read it or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and
> your own common sense."

This is good advice for those who are honest with themselves.

rst0wxyz

On Feb 28, 11:22 am, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 12:34 am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
>
> > I'll stick with the Buddha who said, "Believe nothing,
> > no matter where you read it or who said it, unless it
> > agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
>
> This is good advice for those who are honest with themselves.

Another word, just follow your own agenda as you have always said of
LT Lee.

bmoore

On Feb 28, 11:25 am, rst0 <rst0w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 11:22 am, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 12:34 am, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
>
> > > I'll stick with the Buddha who said, "Believe nothing,
> > > no matter where you read it or who said it, unless it
> > > agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
>
> > This is good advice for those who are honest with themselves.
>
> Another word,

The phrase is "in other words" not "another word". It's hard to
understand you sometimes.

> just follow your own agenda as you have always said of LT Lee.

No, the point is that for the Buddha's advice to work, one needs to be
honest with oneself. Self-deception is the greatest source of pain in
this world.

rst9

On Feb 28, 1:50 pm, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 11:25 am, rst0 <rst0w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 11:22 am, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > Another word,
>
> The phrase is "in other words" not "another word". It's hard to
> understand you sometimes.

There is something called "assumed". In this case, "in" is assumed.

> > just follow your own agenda as you have always said of LT Lee.
>
> No, the point is that for the Buddha's advice to work,
> one needs to be honest with oneself.

We are all "honest" to ourselves.

> Self-deception is the greatest source of pain in this world.

There is no such thing as "self-deception", "dilemma" is a better
term, not knowing which way to turn.

bmoore

On Feb 28, 3:43 pm, rst9 <rst9w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 1:50 pm, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 11:25 am, rst0 <rst0w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Feb 28, 11:22 am, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > > Another word,
>
> > The phrase is "in other words" not "another word". It's hard to
> > understand you sometimes.
>
> There is something called "assumed".  In this case, "in" is assumed.

That is not proper English. Why not just admit that you misspoke?

> > > just follow your own agenda as you have always said of LT Lee.
>
> > No, the point is that for the Buddha's advice to work,
> > one needs to be honest with oneself.
>
> We are all "honest" to ourselves.

Yeah, sure.

> > Self-deception is the greatest source of pain in this world.
>
> There is no such thing as "self-deception", "dilemma" is a better
> term, not knowing which way to turn.

You are deceiving yourself right now!

rst0wxyz

On Feb 28, 4:10 pm, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 3:43 pm, rst9 <rst9w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 1:50 pm, "bmo...@nyx.net" <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > There is something called "assumed".  In this case, "in" is assumed.
>
> That is not proper English. Why not just admit that you misspoke?

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-fo...

More Words
What is another word for ancient history?
What is another word for anciently?
What is another word for ancientness?
What is another word for ancient times?
What is another word for ancillary?
What is another word for and all that?
What is another word for and also?
What is another word for and company?
What is another word for and everywhere?

> > We are all "honest" to ourselves.
>
> Yeah, sure.
>
> > There is no such thing as "self-deception", "dilemma" is a better
> > term, not knowing which way to turn.
>
> You are deceiving yourself right now!

If you know the truth, there is no way to deceive yourself.
If you know the truth, the problem is which way to go;
therefore, it's a dilemma.