Re: Ruby App Distribution

Joe L

Is it possible to use wxRuby or FXRuby with JRuby? I'm just asking because I was hoping to use one of them.

I've used Swing in the past, it looks like it might be less verbose when writing in in Ruby.

Joe

Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote: Joe L wrote:
> http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRub... I was looking through the information there. There seems to be a lot it doesn't support.
>

> Notable things that do not compile in either safe or unsafe mode:
>
> class and module definitions
> singleton class and method definitions
> blocks with arguments
> method defs with optional, "rest", or block arguments
> some method calls are unsafe, like "block_given?" and "local_variables"
> splats and multiple assignment (a, b = b, a)

That's old, thanks for calling my attention to it. The JRuby compiler
has been complete for about a month, and can compile all Ruby code in
the stdlib (so it's pretty solid).

If you're interested in a cross-platform GUI library, there's a number
of frameworks for building Swing-based apps. Write it, package it up
into a JAR file, and anyone with Java can run it without trouble. To me,
it seems like the best/easiest way to get a cross-platform Ruby GUI app.

- Charlie

---------------------------------

Charles Oliver Nutter

Joe L wrote:
> Is it possible to use wxRuby or FXRuby with JRuby? I'm just asking because I was hoping to use one of them.

There's no JRuby-compatible version of the gem, but there is a wxWidgets
binding for Java:

http://www...

It would probably be trivial to produce a JRuby-compatible wxRuby gem
using that library. But it does have native dependencies then, so I'd
still recommend Swing.

I didn't find a Fox binding for Java, but there's probably one out there
somewhere.

> I've used Swing in the past, it looks like it might be less verbose when writing in in Ruby.

It's a *lot* nicer than writing it in Java, and there's four or five
different Swing-based frameworks available for JRuby now.

- Charlie

Jari Williamsson

Joe L wrote:
> Is it possible to use wxRuby or FXRuby with JRuby?

No, both these are platform-specific, C-based implementations.

> I've used Swing in the past, it looks like it might be
> less verbose when writing in in Ruby.

A lot less verbose. Here are your current JRuby GUI alternatives:
http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/GUI_...

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson