Monday:

Date: December 10th
Time: 6:30pm onwards
Location: the Skills Matter offices at 1 Sekforde Street, EC1R 0BEL[1]
Closest tube: Farringdon
Important: Please register attendance with our hosts[2] (more below)

Agenda:

1. "Rails CMS Roundup" - Thomas R. Koll will present a roundup of the
current crop of Rails CMS solutions as well as explaining how easy it is to
embed them into existing sites.
2. "Ruby 1.9" - I will attempt to distill the insanely detailed information
on eigenclass.org[3] into an overview of the changes in the upcoming
1.9release of our favourite language.

We aim to finish up the talks by around 8pm and then head to the pub round
the corner, The Crown Tavern[4], shortly after for drinks and conversation.
If you want more details about any of this (the talks, the venue, the pub,
or just LRUG in general) it can all be found on the LRUG site[5].

Registration:

If you plan on coming make sure that you register before the day (ideally
before the weekend) with our hosts Skills Matter on their website[2]. Our
usual room only has room for about 80 people and whilst Skills Matter can
book a larger venue they need a bit more notice. Last month we had to turn
non-registrants away due to over crowding and last-minute registrations so
it really helps everyone out if you register sooner.

Cheers,

Murray

[1]
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=EC1R+0BE&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=51.523938,-0.104799&spn=0.008571,0.018969&om=1&...
[2] http://www.skillsmatte...
[3] http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?Changes+i...
[4] http://www.fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/p...
[5] http://lrug.org/meetings/2007/11/21/december-2007-meeting/<http://lrug.org/meetings/2007/10/20/november-2007-me...

2 Answers

Hunter

In article <l5c8fd$2rt$3@dont-email.me>, David@block.net says...

> On 11/5/2013 2:14 PM, jess stone wrote:
> > I know that the writer's have appeared to address his limitations in
> > off hand remarks most noticeably to Lizze (Lizzy?) but I believe that
> > only underscores that they recognize the problem as well. As the
> > series progresses I am finding it more and more difficult to enjoy the
> > show what with Spader's uncanny ability to be on a first name basis
> > with all the bad asses in the world whereas the FBI is all but
> > clueless when it comes to these reprehensible dangerous criminals.
>
> True.
>
> > While I am still curious regarding whatever Spader and Lizze's back
> > story is the conceit that Spader is "allowed" to continue his somewhat
> > criminal ways in order to mask is cooperation with the FBI is proving
> > to me harder and harder to accept.
> >

> That's not so unbelievable. Ahem. "Whitey Bolger".
---
Exactly. He was gone for what? 12 years? Longer than Osama had disappeared for
anyway and the FBI knew what both of them looked like and delt with Bulger.

Before him there was the terrorist Carlos the Jackel, the Osama bin Laden of
the 1970s. The FBI had only one old photo to work from before they finally
caught up to him after decades of searching. If they were dealing with
criminals smart enough to keep their faces out of the public eye then it would
be a whole lot harder to detect and find out about them, never mind catching
them.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Dano

"Hunter" wrote in message

In article <l5c8fd$2rt$3@dont-email.me>, David@block.net says...

> On 11/5/2013 2:14 PM, jess stone wrote:
> > I know that the writer's have appeared to address his limitations in
> > off hand remarks most noticeably to Lizze (Lizzy?) but I believe that
> > only underscores that they recognize the problem as well. As the
> > series progresses I am finding it more and more difficult to enjoy the
> > show what with Spader's uncanny ability to be on a first name basis
> > with all the bad asses in the world whereas the FBI is all but
> > clueless when it comes to these reprehensible dangerous criminals.
>
> True.
>
> > While I am still curious regarding whatever Spader and Lizze's back
> > story is the conceit that Spader is "allowed" to continue his somewhat
> > criminal ways in order to mask is cooperation with the FBI is proving
> > to me harder and harder to accept.
> >

> That's not so unbelievable. Ahem. "Whitey Bolger".
---
Exactly. He was gone for what? 12 years? Longer than Osama had disappeared
for
anyway and the FBI knew what both of them looked like and delt with Bulger.

Before him there was the terrorist Carlos the Jackel, the Osama bin Laden of
the 1970s. The FBI had only one old photo to work from before they finally
caught up to him after decades of searching. If they were dealing with
criminals smart enough to keep their faces out of the public eye then it
would
be a whole lot harder to detect and find out about them, never mind catching
them.

Are you talking about Whitey AFTER he went "on the lam"? Because Red
Reddington is not. Whitey was given freedom to continue his criminal
activities (including murder) by the Feds because of his boyhood chum who
would get tips from Whitey at times. Just enough to "justify" the
relationship with the FBI. But to say they overstepped is quite an
understatement. It's been a long...long time since that cooperation ended
and subsequently Whitey had to go into "hiding". Many think the Feebs
weren't trying all that hard to catch him as it reflected very badly on the
agency itself. At any rate...the cases are far from comparable.