rubyforge 101

Giles Bowkett

12/5/2007 12:34:00 AM

Does creating a new release automatically enable "gem install xyz", or
is there an additional step?

--
Giles Bowkett

Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.bl...
Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles....

3 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:33 +0900, Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Does creating a new release automatically enable "gem install xyz", or
> is there an additional step?

There are some notes on the mirroring process here:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/231/mirror_...

To summarize - there's an hourly (oops, I need to update that frequency
in the document) cronjob that checks for new gems, adds them to the gem
index, and triggers an rsync out to all the mirrors.

Yours,

Tom

John Mettraux

On Dec 5, 2007 9:33 AM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does creating a new release automatically enable "gem install xyz", or
> is there an additional step?

Hi,

simply provide a .gem in the release, and it will be available a bit
later via "gem install ...". No additional step.

Cheers,

--
John Mettraux -///- http://jmettraux.o...

Giles Bowkett

Just to verify all this, I was able to install my gem over the
innerwebz just moments ago. That's all kinds of nifty. Now I just have
to make sure it works. ;-)