Re: Ruby App Distribution

Joe L

I should have mentioned this in the last email. I'd like to find something platform independent too. I use Linux personally, but I'd like it to work on Windows, Mac OS X, and of course Linux.

Adam Shelly <adam.shelly@gmail.com> wrote: On 12/4/07, Joe L wrote:
> I don't see how RubyScript2Exe would work when it's a virtual machine. Would it package the entire virtual machine inside the exe?

I don't know all the internals, but essentially, yes. It collects
everything needed to run your script into a self-extracting executable
format.
It has worked great for me in the past, I was able to make a
standalone app which included an FXRuby UI and web support. It was a
pretty large executable, but ran perfectly on an otherwise ruby-free
laptop.

-Adam

---------------------------------

Bira

On Dec 4, 2007 10:35 PM, Joe L <superist_joe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I should have mentioned this in the last email. I'd like to find something platform independent too. I use Linux personally, but I'd like it to work on Windows, Mac OS X, and of course Linux.

It sounds like a job for Rubygems to me. Your users would need to have
Ruby and Rubygems already installed, but then it would be pretty easy
to install your gem.

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

Jari Williamsson

Joe L wrote:
> I should have mentioned this in the last email. I'd like
> to find something platform independent too. I use Linux
> personally, but I'd like it to work on Windows, Mac OS X,
> and of course Linux.

If you want one single distribution that works on all platforms without
having Ruby installed, you have to go with the jar approach (which of
course requires Java to be installed).

Here's a screen cast on the subject, released today:
http://koontzfamily.org/david/videos/Rawr_Screencast...

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson