From: Eric I. <rubytraining@gmail.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:20:08 AM
Subject: Re: Ruby App Distribution

On Dec 4, 9:25 am, Joe L <superist_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was wondering what are the options for distributing a ruby
application. Java has the jar and C++ you can compile to an exe. What options
does Ruby provide? I'm not looking to distribute anything before the
next release. I don't know if something is being added with Yarv to
aide in distribution. Any info would be great.

Take a look at: http://www.erikveen.dds.nl... .

You'll find some options there. Tar2RubyScript packages all the files
that comprise a Ruby program into a single file that can be run on a
machine that already has Ruby installed. RubyScript2Exe goes a step
further, and incorporates the Ruby interpreter and all required
libraries into the single file as well, so the target machine doesn't
even have to have Ruby installed.

Eric

====

Interested in hands-on, on-site Ruby training? See
http://Lea...
for information about a well-reviewed class.

http://www.yaho...
1 Answer

Adam Shelly

On 12/4/07, Joe L <superist_joe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't see how RubyScript2Exe would work when it's a virtual machine. Would it package the entire virtual machine inside the exe?

I don't know all the internals, but essentially, yes. It collects
everything needed to run your script into a self-extracting executable
format.
It has worked great for me in the past, I was able to make a
standalone app which included an FXRuby UI and web support. It was a
pretty large executable, but ran perfectly on an otherwise ruby-free
laptop.

-Adam