Re: What is the best way to interact with a JDBC database

Deepak Vohra

Which database is it?

Venks <venkatesh.mantha@gmail.com> wrote: Hi,

I have a database that has only JDBC connectivity but I need to interact to
this database from Ruby. What's the best way to do so? All ideas and
suggestions are welcome.

My initial thought is to create a Java program that accepts connection
information and a SQL statement and execute the SQL against the database.
Assuming that I have this program, what's the best way to call this Java
program from Ruby?

I looked at JRuby and didn't feel that's the right answer.

Regards,

-Venks

2 Answers

Venks

It's a science/research project called "MonetDB".

On Dec 3, 2007 6:37 PM, Deepak Vohra <dvohra09@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Which database is it?
>
> Venks <venkatesh.mantha@gmail.com> wrote: Hi,
>
> I have a database that has only JDBC connectivity but I need to interact
> this database from Ruby. What's the best way to do so? All ideas and
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> My initial thought is to create a Java program that accepts connection
> information and a SQL statement and execute the SQL against the database.
> Assuming that I have this program, what's the best way to call this Java
> program from Ruby?
>
> I looked at JRuby and didn't feel that's the right answer.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Venks

Reid Thompson

Venks wrote:
> It's a science/research project called "MonetDB".
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 6:37 PM, Deepak Vohra <dvohra09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Which database is it?
>>
>> Venks <venkatesh.mantha@gmail.com> wrote: Hi,
>>
>> I have a database that has only JDBC connectivity but I need to interact
>> this database from Ruby. What's the best way to do so? All ideas and
>> suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> My initial thought is to create a Java program that accepts connection
>> information and a SQL statement and execute the SQL against the database.
>> Assuming that I have this program, what's the best way to call this Java
>> program from Ruby?
>>
>> I looked at JRuby and didn't feel that's the right answer.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Venks

from the website...There are application bindings for MonetDB/SQL using JDBC,
ODBC, PHP, Python, Perl and C,... so you could probably work the C binding into
Ruby in some fashion.