when 1.9.0 will be released?

sayoyo Sayoyo

11/30/2007 4:38:00 AM

Hi, does someone know when the 1.9.0 will be released?

Bil Kleb

sayoyo Sayoyo wrote:
> Hi, does someone know when the 1.9.0 will be released?

Traditionally, these sorts of things are xmas presents.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 29, 2007 11:45 PM, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> sayoyo Sayoyo wrote:
> > Hi, does someone know when the 1.9.0 will be released?
>
> Traditionally, these sorts of things are xmas presents.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Bil Kleb
> http://fun3d.lar...

And this Christmas we will get not Ruby 2.0, but Ruby 1.9.1 which will
be the stable release of the 1.9 stream. Future changes to the 1.9
stream will be bug fixing and performance tuning. Any new experimental
features past 1.9 would then go into a new 2.0 stream.

Matz and the core team recently changed the release numbering scheme
which got quite a bit of discussion on ruby-core.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

David A. Black

Hi --

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 11:45 PM, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
>> sayoyo Sayoyo wrote:
>>> Hi, does someone know when the 1.9.0 will be released?
>>
>> Traditionally, these sorts of things are xmas presents.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Bil Kleb
>> http://fun3d.lar...
>
> And this Christmas we will get not Ruby 2.0, but Ruby 1.9.1 which will
> be the stable release of the 1.9 stream.

I'm not sure how stable, though. Matz said at RubyConf that it would
come out at Christmas but probably not be as stable as he had hoped.
I think it will be feature-frozen, though, or nearly so.

David

See http://www.r... for details and 2008 announcements!

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 30, 2007 8:18 AM, David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> >> Traditionally, these sorts of things are xmas presents.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> --
> >> Bil Kleb
> >> http://fun3d.lar...
> >
> > And this Christmas we will get not Ruby 2.0, but Ruby 1.9.1 which will
> > be the stable release of the 1.9 stream.
>
> I'm not sure how stable, though. Matz said at RubyConf that it would
> come out at Christmas but probably not be as stable as he had hoped.
> I think it will be feature-frozen, though, or nearly so.

That's how I interpret stable.

The idea is that at Christmas the definition of 1.9 will be frozen,
and folks will be encouraged to start porting to it, no more moving
target.

Although stable it might not yet be considered production quality,
which will happen over time.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

John Joyce

On Nov 30, 2007, at 7:30 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 8:18 AM, David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com> wrote:
>> Hi --

>>> And this Christmas we will get not Ruby 2.0, but Ruby 1.9.1 which
>>> will
>>> be the stable release of the 1.9 stream.
>>
>> I'm not sure how stable, though. Matz said at RubyConf that it would
>> come out at Christmas but probably not be as stable as he had hoped.
>> I think it will be feature-frozen, though, or nearly so.
>
> That's how I interpret stable.
>
> The idea is that at Christmas the definition of 1.9 will be frozen,
> and folks will be encouraged to start porting to it, no more moving
> target.
>
> Although stable it might not yet be considered production quality,
> which will happen over time.
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby
> http://talklikeaduck.denh...

How rough is it ?

David A. Black

Hi --

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 8:18 AM, David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com> wrote:
>> Hi --

>>> And this Christmas we will get not Ruby 2.0, but Ruby 1.9.1 which will
>>> be the stable release of the 1.9 stream.
>>
>> I'm not sure how stable, though. Matz said at RubyConf that it would
>> come out at Christmas but probably not be as stable as he had hoped.
>> I think it will be feature-frozen, though, or nearly so.
>
> That's how I interpret stable.

My interpretation was with respect to the running of the thing itself
-- I think what you're calling not production-ready. Anyway, whatever
the terminology, the signal from Matz seemed to be that 1.9.1 was the
way of the future, but that its release should not be taken as a sign
to abandon 1.8, which he still considers the stable (or robust, or
production-ready) version. But we'll see -- there's still more than
three weeks before Christmas :-)

On Dec 1, 2007, at 2:38 AM, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi --
>
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 2007 8:18 AM, David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com> wrote:
>>> Hi --

>>> I'm not sure how stable, though. Matz said at RubyConf that it would
>>> come out at Christmas but probably not be as stable as he had hoped.
>>> I think it will be feature-frozen, though, or nearly so.
>>
>> That's how I interpret stable.
>
> My interpretation was with respect to the running of the thing itself
> -- I think what you're calling not production-ready. Anyway, whatever
> the terminology, the signal from Matz seemed to be that 1.9.1 was the
> way of the future, but that its release should not be taken as a sign
> to abandon 1.8, which he still considers the stable (or robust, or
> production-ready) version. But we'll see -- there's still more than
> three weeks before Christmas :-)
>

> David

It's good to know that 1.8.x is not being abandoned outright. I'd be
shocked if it were.
There is so much code out there now that is totally dependent upon
it, and more importantly, from the general sense I've gotten from the
occasional 1.9 posts here, there are a lot of changes in 1.9 that
will take some time to get familiar with.
No big deal, but I'd like to wait until there are some published
books before considering spending time on learning 1.9
Any word on the unicode support in 1.9? Or is that still scheduled as
a 2.x feature?

Charles Oliver Nutter

John Joyce wrote:
> Any word on the unicode support in 1.9? Or is that still scheduled as a
> 2.x feature?

It's in, and changes many methods of String in breaking ways since they
work with characters instead of bytes now. That will probably be the
largest change any library or app needs to make to upgrade.

- Charlie

John Joyce

On Dec 1, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> John Joyce wrote:
>> Any word on the unicode support in 1.9? Or is that still scheduled
>> as a 2.x feature?
>
> It's in, and changes many methods of String in breaking ways since
> they work with characters instead of bytes now. That will probably
> be the largest change any library or app needs to make to upgrade.
>
> - Charlie

Excellent news!
Then I'm eager and ready to jump into it any time!
I just hope Apple rolls out 1.9.x in an update to Leopard, it would
be a shame to leave it out until 10.6...
Unicode support is pretty convenient and useful working with OS X,
since Cocoa's NSString class is natively Unicode.

(now if only TextMate were able to handle Japanese input correctly...)

Actually, though, the unicode support will (hopefully) help put an
end to people having difficulty dealing with non-ASCII file names in
particular.

Trollen Lord

> Unicode support is pretty convenient and useful working with OS X,
> since Cocoa's NSString class is natively Unicode.

Where is Unicode not convenient really? Seriously, it was conceived in '91
or so to fill a genuine need, it is about time.

I know it is not perfect (I have understood there are at least some issues
with supporting the asian character sets well) but it is a definite step
forwards.