Ruby + GUI?

pete

11/30/2007 3:27:00 AM

Hi-

What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?

Thanks for your inputs.
11 Answers

Piyush Ranjan

shoes

On Nov 30, 2007 9:00 AM, pete <peterbattaglia@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?
>
> Thanks for your inputs.

Jeremy McAnally

I like Shoes a lot if you need something simple.

If you need something better, then I think perhaps fxRuby (if you
don't need a native look) or wxRuby (if you do) are your best options.
Ruby/Tk is okay if you like Tk and all, but I personally prefer the
previous kits.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)

David and Sharon Phillips

> What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?

Big question is: Which OS, and do you want to run it on any other?

I'm having fun currently building a framework around Swing using JRuby
(yep, the world needs another swing framework :), but then I quite
like Swing...
currently I can create a gui like this (based_on tells it to bind to
corresponding fields a Personnel object.)

class PersonnelView < EntityView
based_on :personnel

heading "Edit Personnel"
label :fullname,
:when_blank => '[unknown]',
:desc => 'Full name'
text :firstname
text :surname
drop_down :security_status,
:select_from => ['None', 'Confidential', 'Secret', 'Top
Secret']
check_box :confidentiality_agreement_signed,
:desc => 'agreement signed?'
drop_down :contract_role,
:select_from => ['PSP', 'Contractor']
memo :comments,
:height => 6
end

Cheers,
Dave

pete

On Nov 30, 5:02 am, Sharon Phillips <phillip...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?
>
> Big question is: Which OS, and do you want to run it on any other?
>
> I'm having fun currently building a framework around Swing using JRuby
> (yep, the world needs another swing framework :), but then I quite
> like Swing...
> currently I can create a gui like this (based_on tells it to bind to
> corresponding fields a Personnel object.)
>
> class PersonnelView < EntityView
> based_on :personnel
>
> heading "Edit Personnel"
> label :fullname,
> :when_blank => '[unknown]',
> :desc => 'Full name'
> text :firstname
> text :surname
> drop_down :security_status,
> :select_from => ['None', 'Confidential', 'Secret', 'Top
> Secret']
> check_box :confidentiality_agreement_signed,
> :desc => 'agreement signed?'
> drop_down :contract_role,
> :select_from => ['PSP', 'Contractor']
> memo :comments,
> :height => 6
> end
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Great! Thanks everyone. All I really wanted was a good starting
place, it seems there's a lot of options out there and I'm pretty
limited on time to get this project done.

This project in particular will be on Windows (sorry), but I'm also a
Linux user and most of the development I do is in the Linux
environment. I'll take alook at all of these and see what best fits
for my app.

Thanks again!

Kyle Schmitt

PSst. this question is asked probably once a week :) a quick search of
the archives will give you lots and lots of information, links,
personal opinions etc.

...mind you I've been guilty too of asking such repeated and
repeatable questions....

--Kyle

Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)

Hi,

pete wrote:
| On Nov 30, 5:02 am, Sharon Phillips <phillip...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
|>> What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?
|> Big question is: Which OS, and do you want to run it on any other?
|>
|> I'm having fun currently building a framework around Swing using JRuby
|> (yep, the world needs another swing framework :), but then I quite
|> like Swing...
|> currently I can create a gui like this (based_on tells it to bind to
|> corresponding fields a Personnel object.)
|>
|> class PersonnelView < EntityView
|> based_on :personnel
|>
|> heading "Edit Personnel"
|> label :fullname,
|> :when_blank => '[unknown]',
|> :desc => 'Full name'
|> text :firstname
|> text :surname
|> drop_down :security_status,
|> :select_from => ['None', 'Confidential', 'Secret', 'Top
|> Secret']
|> check_box :confidentiality_agreement_signed,
|> :desc => 'agreement signed?'
|> drop_down :contract_role,
|> :select_from => ['PSP', 'Contractor']
|> memo :comments,
|> :height => 6
|> end
|>
|> Cheers,
|> Dave
|
| Great! Thanks everyone. All I really wanted was a good starting
| place, it seems there's a lot of options out there and I'm pretty
| limited on time to get this project done.
|
| This project in particular will be on Windows (sorry), but I'm also a
| Linux user and most of the development I do is in the Linux
| environment. I'll take alook at all of these and see what best fits
| for my app.

Pete.. If you install GTK+ and Ruby on Windows, will be possible run
your application on windows too.

| Thanks again!

Cheers,

- --
http://www.g...

Huw Collingbourne

pete wrote:

> This project in particular will be on Windows

If you are using Visual Studio, you could use our free .NET /Ruby
Connector...

http://www.sapphir.../SapphireSteel...

Visual Rails Tools will have to wait until Ruby In Steel 1.2 early in
2008 while fully integrated drag+drop event-driven form design probably
won't be released until IronRuby is close to completion - though we do
have demos of our beta form designer...

http://www.sapphir.../IronRuby-Visua...
http://www.sapphir.../IronRuby-Visual-For...

best wishes
Huw

SapphireSteel Software
http://www.sapphir...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Sharon Phillips wrote:
>> What would you all say is the best option for creating GUIs with Ruby?
>
> Big question is: Which OS, and do you want to run it on any other?
>
> I'm having fun currently building a framework around Swing using JRuby
> (yep, the world needs another swing framework :), but then I quite like
> Swing...
> currently I can create a gui like this (based_on tells it to bind to
> corresponding fields a Personnel object.)
>
> class PersonnelView < EntityView
> based_on :personnel
>
> heading "Edit Personnel"
> label :fullname,
> :when_blank => '[unknown]',
> :desc => 'Full name'
> text :firstname
> text :surname
> drop_down :security_status,
> :select_from => ['None', 'Confidential', 'Secret', 'Top
> Secret']
> check_box :confidentiality_agreement_signed,
> :desc => 'agreement signed?'
> drop_down :contract_role,
> :select_from => ['PSP', 'Contractor']
> memo :comments,
> :height => 6
> end

Looks slick.

To pete: Lately it seems like lots of folks are settling on JRuby+Swing
for cross-platform GUI stuff in Ruby. One binary basically runs anywhere
without recompile or modification. That would be my recommendation.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> To pete: Lately it seems like lots of folks are settling on JRuby+Swing
> for cross-platform GUI stuff in Ruby. One binary basically runs anywhere
> without recompile or modification. That would be my recommendation.

Note: I didn't illustrate one other important point: you don't even need
to install JRuby on the host machines. Just ship your app plus JRuby in
a single file and it will run wherever Java lives.

- Charlie