hash.clear("value"

Andrew Stone

Hello all,

Was just wondering if there was something simple like:

hash.clear("value")

This would remove all entries from the hash whose value == "value".

Yeah, I know about delete_if, this would just be more succinct. I can be
lazy sometimes.

thanks,
andy

--
Andrew Stone

4 Answers

MonkeeSage

On Nov 28, 1:47 pm, Andrew Stone <stoneli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Note: parts of this message were removed by the gateway to make it a legal Usenet post.
>
> Hello all,
>
> Was just wondering if there was something simple like:
>
> hash.clear("value")
>
> This would remove all entries from the hash whose value == "value".
>
> Yeah, I know about delete_if, this would just be more succinct. I can be
> lazy sometimes.
>
> thanks,
> andy
>
> --
> Andrew Stone

You can always wrap delete_if...

class Hash
def remove(target)
self.delete_if { | key, value |
value == target
}

Regards,
Jordan

Robert Klemme

2007/11/28, MonkeeSage <MonkeeSage@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 28, 1:47 pm, Andrew Stone <stoneli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Note: parts of this message were removed by the gateway to make it a legal Usenet post.
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Was just wondering if there was something simple like:
> >
> > hash.clear("value")
> >
> > This would remove all entries from the hash whose value == "value".
> >
> > Yeah, I know about delete_if, this would just be more succinct. I can be
> > lazy sometimes.
> >
> > thanks,
> > andy
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Stone
>
> You can always wrap delete_if...
>
> class Hash
> def remove(target)
> self.delete_if { | key, value |
> value == target
> }

Just a subtle point: IMHO it is better to put "target" on the left
side of the comparison because that gives the caller more control on
the deletion criterion:

class Hash
def remove(target)
delete_if { | key, value |
target == value
}

For example, you could do

crit = Object.new
def crit.==(x) x < 10 end
a_hash.remove crit # remove all entries where value is < 10

It's a similar pattern to how "case" does comparison via "===". But
then again, this is probably even better:

class Hash
def remove_val
delete_if {|k,v| yield v}
self

Because it's more modular. But then again, you can use delete_if directly. :-)

Kind regards

robert

MonkeeSage

On Nov 29, 4:35 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2007/11/28, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS...@gmail.com>:
>

> > On Nov 28, 1:47 pm, Andrew Stone <stoneli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Note: parts of this message were removed by the gateway to make it a legal Usenet post.
>
> > > Hello all,
>
> > > Was just wondering if there was something simple like:
>
> > > hash.clear("value")
>
> > > This would remove all entries from the hash whose value == "value".
>
> > > Yeah, I know about delete_if, this would just be more succinct. I can be
> > > lazy sometimes.
>
> > > thanks,
> > > andy
>
> > > --
> > > Andrew Stone
>
> > You can always wrap delete_if...
>
> > class Hash
> > def remove(target)
> > self.delete_if { | key, value |
> > value == target
> > }
> > end
> > end
>
> Just a subtle point: IMHO it is better to put "target" on the left
> side of the comparison because that gives the caller more control on
> the deletion criterion:
>
> class Hash
> def remove(target)
> delete_if { | key, value |
> target == value
> }
>
> For example, you could do
>
> crit = Object.new
> def crit.==(x) x < 10 end
> a_hash.remove crit # remove all entries where value is < 10

Nice. :)

> It's a similar pattern to how "case" does comparison via "===". But
> then again, this is probably even better:
>
> class Hash
> def remove_val
> delete_if {|k,v| yield v}
> self
>
> Because it's more modular. But then again, you can use delete_if directly. :-)

Yes, but we're lazy! ;) No blocks here! Heh. Otherwise we would just
use delete_if! ;)

> Kind regards
>
> robert
>
> --
> use.inject do |as, often| as.you_can - without end

Robert Klemme

2007/11/30, MonkeeSage <MonkeeSage@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 29, 4:35 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > You can always wrap delete_if...
> >
> > > class Hash
> > > def remove(target)
> > > self.delete_if { | key, value |
> > > value == target
> > > }
> > > end
> > > end
> >
> > Just a subtle point: IMHO it is better to put "target" on the left
> > side of the comparison because that gives the caller more control on
> > the deletion criterion:
> >
> > class Hash
> > def remove(target)
> > delete_if { | key, value |
> > target == value
> > }
> > end
> > end
> >
> > For example, you could do
> >
> > crit = Object.new
> > def crit.==(x) x < 10 end
> > a_hash.remove crit # remove all entries where value is < 10
>
> Nice. :)
>
> > It's a similar pattern to how "case" does comparison via "===". But
> > then again, this is probably even better:
> >
> > class Hash
> > def remove_val
> > delete_if {|k,v| yield v}
> > self
> > end
> > end
> >
> > Because it's more modular. But then again, you can use delete_if directly. :-)
>
> Yes, but we're lazy! ;) No blocks here! Heh. Otherwise we would just
> use delete_if! ;)

Laziness is exactly the reason why I use delete_if. Why? Because I
can be sure it's there. I don't have to create a lib of my personal
extensions, require it in every script and make sure it can be found
via RUBYLIB. Granted, setting RUBYLIB is a one time effort, but
requiring needs to be done for every script plus I cannot pass scripts
around as easily; I have to at least shop two files. etc.

Kind regards

robert