Run ruby from MFC

Surezu Shanmu

11/28/2007 9:52:00 AM

Hi all,

I would like to run Ruby from my MFC application! IF it is
possible? If yes,let me know.
Now i'm using visual studio 2005..

thanks in advance
surezu

???

i dont tink you can really run ruby using vs2005 man~

From: "Surezu Shanmu" <surezsu@yahoo.co.in>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:51 PM
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Subject: Run ruby from MFC

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to run Ruby from my MFC application! IF it is
> possible? If yes,let me know.
> Now i'm using visual studio 2005..
>
> thanks in advance
> surezu

Surezu Shanmu

ok fine which one is best for me like Iron ruby or other than this..

Jari Williamsson

åº?æ?­æ?? wrote:
> i dont tink you can really run ruby using vs2005 man~

I get the impression you can use VS if you run IronRuby. Don't know
about MFC though, since IronRuby is a .NET implementation.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Jano Svitok

On Nov 28, 2007 10:51 AM, Surezu Shanmu <surezsu@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to run Ruby from my MFC application! IF it is
> possible? If yes,let me know.
> Now i'm using visual studio 2005..

Depends on what do you want with ruby.

If you just need to run a standalone script, than it more or less
doesn't depend on from where you call it (i.e. run using a new process).

If you want to embed ruby in your program (to be able to script etc.)
then it's obviously harder but doable.
It's not a good idea to mix your program compiled by VS2005 and ruby
compiled by VC6. Therefore,
you have to compile ruby yourself. It's not a problem, it's quite
easy, and from (IIRC) 1.8.6. it should work.

The problem is, that you have to compile yourself all the extensions
that you plan to use with your ruby.
That means 1. your ruby will not be compatible with those prebuilt
gems from rubyforge, 2. some
of the extensions require pretty involved process to compile (that's
what people write, I haven't compiled
the extensions myself). We're talking about openssl, zlib, tk, etc. here.

In any case, ruby compiled by vs2005 should be possible.

Good luck!

J.