Books on Ruby...

barcaroller

11/28/2007 3:03:00 AM

Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:

Ruby for beginners
Ruby for advanced users

Ruby On Rails for beginners
Ruby On Rails for advanced users

Is there a bible like Larry Wall's Programming Perl or Bjarne Stroustrup's
The C++ Programming Language?

7 Answers

fedzor

On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:05 PM, barcaroller wrote:

> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
> Ruby for beginners
-> Why's Poignant Guide
-> Humble Little Ruby Book
-> Learn To Code

> Ruby for advanced users
-> Ruby Source Code
-> The Pickaxe
-> The Ruby Way

> Ruby On Rails for beginners
-> Build Your Own Ruby On Rails Apps (Patrick Lentz)
-> There are only three days left to get it in PDF form for free (I
like print, though)!

> Ruby On Rails for advanced users
-> Agile Web Development with Rails

http://blog.mrneighborly.com/2007/10/ruby-and-rails-biblio...
sorts.html

That pretty much has it all!

The only ritualistically used book I know of is the Pickaxe, put out
by the Pragmatic Programmers.

- Ari Brown

Gene Tani

On Nov 27, 7:19 pm, thefed <fed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 10:05 PM, barcaroller wrote:
>

> > Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
> > Ruby for beginners
>
> -> Why's Poignant Guide
> -> Humble Little Ruby Book
> -> Learn To Code
>
> > Ruby for advanced users
>
> -> Ruby Source Code
> -> The Pickaxe
> -> The Ruby Way
>
> > Ruby On Rails for beginners
>
> -> Build Your Own Ruby On Rails Apps (Patrick Lentz)
> -> There are only three days left to get it in PDF form for free (I
> like print, though)!
>
> > Ruby On Rails for advanced users
>
> -> Agile Web Development with Rails
>
> http://blog.mrneighborly.com/2007/10/ruby-and-rails-biblio...
> sorts.html
>
> That pretty much has it all!
>
> The only ritualistically used book I know of is the Pickaxe, put out
> by the Pragmatic Programmers.
>
> - Ari Brown

There's new books coming out every week, it seems, check the leading
online retailer's website.

http://blog.mrneighborly.com/2007/10/ruby-and-rails-biblio...sorts.html

kevin cline

On Nov 27, 9:03 pm, "barcaroller" <barcarol...@music.net> wrote:
> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
> Ruby for beginners

For experienced programmers wanting to work in Ruby, I found
"Programming Ruby" both comprehensible and comprehensive. For
beginning programmers, I don't know.

> Ruby for advanced users

Programming Ruby, 2nd Edition, chapters 22-24.

> Ruby On Rails for beginners
> Ruby On Rails for advanced users

Agile Web Development With Rails for both.

???

ruby cook book

>> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>>
>> Ruby for beginners
>
> For experienced programmers wanting to work in Ruby, I found
> "Programming Ruby" both comprehensible and comprehensive. For
> beginning programmers, I don't know.
>
>> Ruby for advanced users
>
> Programming Ruby, 2nd Edition, chapters 22-24.
>

>> Ruby On Rails for beginners
>> Ruby On Rails for advanced users
>
> Agile Web Development With Rails for both.

Doug Hogg

barcaroller wrote:
> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
> Ruby for beginners

For absolute beginners to programming (even kids), "Learn to Program" by
Chris Pine is a very gentle introduction to Ruby.

Also for beginners, I am find "Beginning Ruby, From Novice to
Professional" by Peter Cooper very approachable but it also covers a lot
of ground.

Doug

Waleed Harbi

http://www.visibleworkings.com/li...

On Nov 28, 2007 12:26 PM, Doug Hogg <dough@machelpla.com> wrote:

> barcaroller wrote:
> > Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
> >
> > Ruby for beginners
> >
> For absolute beginners to programming (even kids), "Learn to Program" by
> Chris Pine is a very gentle introduction to Ruby.
>
> Also for beginners, I am find "Beginning Ruby, From Novice to
> Professional" by Peter Cooper very approachable but it also covers a lot
> of ground.
>
> Doug

Yours,
Waleed Harbi
waleed.harbi@gmail.com
Nothing without reason everything 4 something.

Mark Woodward

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:03:09 -0500
"barcaroller" <barcaroller@music.net> wrote:

> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
> Ruby for beginners

Learning Programming:
Learn to Program

A bit more advanced:
Ruby by Example

Some programming knowledge from other language:
Everyday scripting with Ruby
Ruby Cookbook
Programming Ruby
The Ruby Way

> Ruby for advanced users

Programming Ruby
The Ruby Way
The Ruby Cookbook

> Ruby On Rails for beginners

Ruby on Rails

> Ruby On Rails for advanced users

Can't help you there sorry.

> Is there a bible like Larry Wall's Programming Perl or Bjarne
> Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language?

The Pickaxe (Programming Ruby) would probably be the closest although
The Ruby Way wouldn't be too far behind.

Another good little book to have nearby is O'Reilly's Ruby Pocket
Reference.

My favourites sources in order:
(I'm probably at ('bit more advanced'/'knowledge from other language')
level above):

1. Without doubt this newsgroup! A LOT of info gets posted here!
2. irb, Google, the Cookbook
3. Ruby Pocket Reference
4. http://www.ruby-doc...
Pickaxe, The Ruby Way

I've only recently bought Ruby by Example and Everyday Scripting.. So
far they are both great books.

cheers,

--
Mark