Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 111 on Ubuntu 7.10 - How?

Rit Li

11/26/2007 8:28:00 PM

The ruby from Ubuntu's repository is 1.8.6 patch 36.

So I download the 1.8.6 p111 source and:

/configure
make
make install

I have ruby 1.8.6 p111 installed. However, I got some loaderror like
readline...

How can I install the complete ruby, like the from one from Ubuntu's
repository?

Thanks,

Luis Lavena

On Nov 26, 5:28 pm, Rit Li <kimrith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ruby from Ubuntu's repository is 1.8.6 patch 36.
>
> So I download the 1.8.6 p111 source and:
>
> /configure
> make
> make install
>
> I have ruby 1.8.6 p111 installed. However, I got some loaderror like
> readline...

1st: uninstall the ruby version that came with ubuntu. This is
important since both ruby installation clash (it happened to me but I
don't remember right now).

2nd: sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8 (to grab all the needed
dependencies to compile ruby).

3rd: NOW you can compile ruby.

HTH,

Rit Li

Thank you. It works now.

Rob Saul

Luis Lavena wrote:

> 1st: uninstall the ruby version that came with ubuntu. This is
> important since both ruby installation clash (it happened to me but I
> don't remember right now).
>
> 2nd: sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8 (to grab all the needed
> dependencies to compile ruby).
>
> 3rd: NOW you can compile ruby.

This looks helpful. One thing I can't help but wonder is what
might be the implication(s) of doing this as time goes by. Will
one always have to go through this process for updates to ruby?

David Barnett

In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
@news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
says...

> In article <l55e16$io1$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Haven (recorded) - A pretty good episode, if you can overlook Duke's
> whining through most of it. Meanwhile, Jennifer gets closer to
> discovering her origins.
> The one thing I can't say I like about the current season is that
> they've ramped up the stakes too high - it seems like there's about
> 10-person body count every episode this season, and Haven's population
> will be about *zero* in a few weeks at the rate they're going...
> Next week: Sheriff Carter's back!! :D

I noticed that in next week's preview.
Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
I forget the actor's real name.

--
David Barnett

Ian J. Ball

In article <MPG.2ce1c478e53bff89989895@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
> @news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
> says...
> >
> > In article <l55e16$io1$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > Haven (recorded) - A pretty good episode, if you can overlook Duke's
> > whining through most of it. Meanwhile, Jennifer gets closer to
> > discovering her origins.
> > The one thing I can't say I like about the current season is that
> > they've ramped up the stakes too high - it seems like there's about
> > 10-person body count every episode this season, and Haven's population
> > will be about *zero* in a few weeks at the rate they're going...
> > Next week: Sheriff Carter's back!! :D
>
> I noticed that in next week's preview.
> Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
> I forget the actor's real name.

Craig Olyenik.
I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
confirmation on it...

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".

Anim8rFSK

In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-E1ED05.06045304112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <MPG.2ce1c478e53bff89989895@news.eternal-september.org>,
> David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
> > @news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
> > says...

> > > Haven (recorded) - A pretty good episode, if you can overlook Duke's
> > > whining through most of it. Meanwhile, Jennifer gets closer to
> > > discovering her origins.
> > > The one thing I can't say I like about the current season is that
> > > they've ramped up the stakes too high - it seems like there's about
> > > 10-person body count every episode this season, and Haven's population
> > > will be about *zero* in a few weeks at the rate they're going...
> > > Next week: Sheriff Carter's back!! :D
> >
> > I noticed that in next week's preview.
> > Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
> > I forget the actor's real name.
>
> Craig Olyenik.
> I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
> confirmation on it...

You mean Craig Olejnik?

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Ian J. Ball

In article <anim8rfsk-52342C.09524304112013@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> In article
> <ijball-NO_SPAM-E1ED05.06045304112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <MPG.2ce1c478e53bff89989895@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > > In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
> > > @news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
> > > says...

> > > I noticed that in next week's preview.
> > > Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
> > > I forget the actor's real name.
> >
> > Craig Olyenik.
> > I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
> > confirmation on it...
>
> You mean Craig Olejnik?

Ah, yes - well that would confirm that they're not related, wouldn't
it?!... ;p

--

<ijball-NO_SPAM-A09DE3.09315505112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-52342C.09524304112013@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <ijball-NO_SPAM-E1ED05.06045304112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > "Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:

> > > Craig Olyenik.
> > > I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
> > > confirmation on it...
> >
> > You mean Craig Olejnik?
>
> Ah, yes - well that would confirm that they're not related, wouldn't
> it?!... ;p

I don't know about 'confirms' but certainly 'lends weight to the theory'

:D

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

David Barnett

In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-E1ED05.06045304112013
@news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
says...

> In article <MPG.2ce1c478e53bff89989895@news.eternal-september.org>,
> David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
> > @news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
> > says...

> > > Haven (recorded) - A pretty good episode, if you can overlook Duke's
> > > whining through most of it. Meanwhile, Jennifer gets closer to
> > > discovering her origins.
> > > The one thing I can't say I like about the current season is that
> > > they've ramped up the stakes too high - it seems like there's about
> > > 10-person body count every episode this season, and Haven's population
> > > will be about *zero* in a few weeks at the rate they're going...
> > > Next week: Sheriff Carter's back!! :D
> >
> > I noticed that in next week's preview.
> > Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
> > I forget the actor's real name.
>
> Craig Olyenik.
> I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
> confirmation on it...

imdb says she grew up in San Francisco, & I assume he is
Canadian, but this does not rule out a relationship, say
brother & sister.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

In article <anim8rfsk-52342C.09524304112013
@news.easynews.com>, anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article
> <ijball-NO_SPAM-E1ED05.06045304112013@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <MPG.2ce1c478e53bff89989895@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-123705.09082203112013
> > > @news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid
> > > says...

> > > I noticed that in next week's preview.
> > > Incidentally, this episode guest starred the Listener;
> > > I forget the actor's real name.
> >
> > Craig Olyenik.
> > I am assuming he's no relation to Larissa Olyenik, though I've never had
> > confirmation on it...
>
> You mean Craig Olejnik?

And I mean Larissa Oleynik, which I think rules out a
relationship, LOL
Or is y and j equivalent in the language from which these
names originate?
--
David Barnett