Checking for uniqueness

Jason Matthew

11/19/2007 2:19:00 AM

I am using FeedTools to parse an rss feed and store it in my Meetings
model.

I am trying to store only unique parsed rss feeds. To check for
uniqueness, I have decided to use the Feed's link. How can I check if
there is not already a row in the database containing that feed's link.

require "myprogram_dbconnect"
require 'rubygems'
require 'feed_tools'

activerecord_connect

class Meeting < ActiveRecord::Base
has_many :comments
end

meeting =
FeedTools::Feed.open('http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/rss/committee-ev...)

if #meeting with item.link does not allready exist in the database
puts "No new feeds to put in database"
else
meeting.items.each do |item|
Meeting.create(:title => item.title, :link => item.link,
:description => item.description,
:feed_data => item.feed_data, :feed_data_type =>
item.feed_data_type)

Pat Maddox

On Nov 18, 2007 6:18 PM, Jason Matthew <jwinn@originalvector.com> wrote:
> I am using FeedTools to parse an rss feed and store it in my Meetings
> model.
>
> I am trying to store only unique parsed rss feeds. To check for
> uniqueness, I have decided to use the Feed's link. How can I check if
> there is not already a row in the database containing that feed's link.
>
> require "myprogram_dbconnect"
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'feed_tools'
>
> activerecord_connect
>
> class Meeting < ActiveRecord::Base
> has_many :comments
> end
>
> meeting =
> FeedTools::Feed.open('http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/rss/committee-ev...)
>
> if #meeting with item.link does not allready exist in the database
> puts "No new feeds to put in database"
> else
> meeting.items.each do |item|
> Meeting.create(:title => item.title, :link => item.link,
> :description => item.description,
> :feed_data => item.feed_data, :feed_data_type =>
> item.feed_data_type)

You can enforce it in the model with

class Meeting < ActiveRecord::Base
has_many :comments
validates_uniqueness_of :link
end

Pat

Jason Matthew

Pat Maddox wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2007 6:18 PM, Jason Matthew <jwinn@originalvector.com> wrote:
>>
>> puts "No new feeds to put in database"
>> Posted via http://www.ruby-....
>>

> You can enforce it in the model with
>
> class Meeting < ActiveRecord::Base
> has_many :comments
> validates_uniqueness_of :link
> end
>
> Pat

Thanks Pat! I can't believe I didnt bother just to validate it.