PDF of Flanagan and Matsumoto Ruby book?

Paul Van Delst

11/16/2007 3:37:00 PM

Hello,

Apologies if this topic has already come up - I searched google groups but didn't find
anything recent.

I notice that "The Ruby Programming Language" by David Flanagan and Yukihiro Matsumoto is
scheduled for a Dec07/Jan08 release by O'Reilly. Anyone know if a PDF version (ala the
"Ruby Cookbook") is going to be made available?

cheers,

paulv
5 Answers

Dean Wampler

+1.

I'm on the road a lot and I would be delighted if a PDF version were made
available. Hint, hint! ;)

--
Dean Wampler
http://www.object...

Lloyd Linklater

Dean Wampler wrote:
> +1.
>
> I'm on the road a lot and I would be delighted if a PDF version were
> made
> available. Hint, hint! ;)

I think that there must be.

http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=Ruby+Cookbook&x=4...

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 16, 2007 5:52 PM, Lloyd Linklater <lloyd@2live4.com> wrote:
> Dean Wampler wrote:
> > +1.
> >
> > I'm on the road a lot and I would be delighted if a PDF version were
> > made
> > available. Hint, hint! ;)
>
> I think that there must be.
>
> http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=Ruby+Cookbook&x=4...

Two things:

1. Some O'Reilly titles are available as PDFs others aren't. Just
because "Ruby Cookbook" is available as a PDF doesn't mean than any
particular upcoming O'Reilly title will be.

2. I notice that "Ruby Cookbook" is available for PURCHASE as a pdf
from the O'Reilly site for $34.99 for the whole thing or $3.99 per
chapter as individual chapters. which makes me wonder about the
provenance of what's at the end of the link above.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog...

Do I think O'Reilly books in PDF form are overpriced? Perhaps. Does
that mean that they should be pirated? No.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Keith Fahlgren

On Nov 16, 2007 3:29 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two things:
>
> 1. Some O'Reilly titles are available as PDFs others aren't. Just
> because "Ruby Cookbook" is available as a PDF doesn't mean than any
> particular upcoming O'Reilly title will be.

Hi,

I believe all of the O'Reilly Ruby titles[1] are available as PDFs, so
would be very surprised if this one wasn't available a couple of weeks
after it hits the store shelves this winter.

HTH,
Keith

1. http://www.oreilly.com/pub/...

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 16, 2007 7:12 PM, Keith Fahlgren <keith@audiobeta.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 3:29 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Two things:
> >
> > 1. Some O'Reilly titles are available as PDFs others aren't. Just
> > because "Ruby Cookbook" is available as a PDF doesn't mean than any
> > particular upcoming O'Reilly title will be.
>
> Hi,
>
> I believe all of the O'Reilly Ruby titles[1] are available as PDFs,

Except for the PragProg ones, at least not from O'Reilly. <G>

> so
> would be very surprised if this one wasn't available a couple of weeks
> after it hits the store shelves this winter.

If so that's good, although I doubt I'd pay the price they want for
the PDF, and I personally stick with the dead-tree version. But I
also wouldn't go looking for a torrent either.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...