Meeting Michigan/Indiana/Georgia Rubyists?

Phillip Gawlowski

11/16/2007 11:07:00 AM

(Second try, since it didn't seem to get through on the first try)

Hello, Rubyists!

I'm traveling to the US from December to February, and since I don't
have that chance often, it'd be nice to meet some of you guys in the flesh.

I'll be visiting the Michiana Area with trips to Chicago, as well as a
lengthy-ish visit to Atlanta, Georgia, planned already.

Arrival is December 8th, departure February 16th (subject to change).

Send me an email (off-list, if you prefer), and we can work out a
meeting, if you want.

- Phillip

18 Answers

Rhino

On 2013-10-30 12:51 PM, David wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:
>
>> I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
>> a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
>> killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.
>
> I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until roughly the middle of this century.

Give me a break!

Assuming this is because of Hitler and the Holocaust, I hope you realize
that almost the entire generation that served in Hitler's armed forces
or his secret police have died of old age already. Of those that are
still living, the vast majority were low in rank and didn't give the
orders for those atrocities. The generation that VOTED for Hitler -
basically the parents of the people who served in the German armed
forces and security services - are already long dead. Do you really feel
it necessary to punish the handful of very old people who lived in those
days and are still alive and the very large number of people who were
born after - sometimes LONG after - WW II?

Postwar Germany has apologized for its crimes against humanity many many
times and has long enjoyed very good relations with Israel. If the
Israelis aren't livid with anger at today's Germans, then why are you?

Please understand that I'm not diminishing German war atrocities in any
way. They were truly horrible. But the people who initiated them are
dead, and in most cases, long dead. Punishing their children,
grandchildren and great-grandchildren seems pointless at best.

--
Rhino

David

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:59:22 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact_please@example.com> wrote:

>On 2013-10-30 12:51 PM, David wrote:
>> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:
>>
>>> I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
>>> a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
>>> killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.
>>
>> I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until roughly the middle of this century.
>>
>Give me a break!
>
>Assuming this is because of Hitler and the Holocaust, I hope you realize
>that almost the entire generation that served in Hitler's armed forces
>or his secret police have died of old age already.

And a 100-year period and making certain everyone from back then has
passed is the perfect "zip it and think about your national shame"
time frame.

On the other hand, the American South's 100-year clock will only start
once they sufficiently denounce morons with confederate pride.

thinbluemime

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:59:22 PM UTC, Rhino wrote:
> On 2013-10-30 12:51 PM, David wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:
> >
> >> I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
> >> a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
> >> killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.
> >
> > I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until roughly the middle of this century.
> >
> Give me a break!
>
> Assuming this is because of Hitler and the Holocaust, I hope you realize
> that almost the entire generation that served in Hitler's armed forces
> or his secret police have died of old age already. Of those that are
> still living, the vast majority were low in rank and didn't give the
> orders for those atrocities. The generation that VOTED for Hitler -
> basically the parents of the people who served in the German armed
> forces and security services - are already long dead. Do you really feel
> it necessary to punish the handful of very old people who lived in those
> days and are still alive and the very large number of people who were
> born after - sometimes LONG after - WW II?
>
> Postwar Germany has apologized for its crimes against humanity many many
> times and has long enjoyed very good relations with Israel. If the
> Israelis aren't livid with anger at today's Germans, then why are you?
>
> Please understand that I'm not diminishing German war atrocities in any
> way. They were truly horrible. But the people who initiated them are
> dead, and in most cases, long dead. Punishing their children,
> grandchildren and great-grandchildren seems pointless at best.

The dead don't pay taxes or reparations or gift nuclear submarines to Israel. But the German living do.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/germany-to-pay-772-million-euros-in-reparations-to-holocaust-survivors-a-9...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/settlement-protest-germany-threatens-to-halt-submarine-sale-to-israel-a-7...

google search: holocaust, reparations, germany

-----------

"There's no business like Shoah Business"

Thanatos

In article <119731ec-a46a-44ac-9ed9-47512b85faf9@googlegroups.com>,
David <dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:
>
> > I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
> > a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
> > killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.
>
> I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until
> roughly the middle of this century.

Why not go all the way with your prejudice and expand your bigotry to
'all white people'. That way you'll be more in line with the mainstream
grievance groups.

Thanatos

In article <l4rrv9$mg2$1@dont-email.me>,
Rhino <no_offline_contact_please@example.com> wrote:

> On 2013-10-30 12:51 PM, David wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:
> >
> >> I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
> >> a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
> >> killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.
> >
> > I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until roughly
> > the middle of this century.
> >
> Give me a break!
>
> Assuming this is because of Hitler and the Holocaust, I hope you realize
> that almost the entire generation that served in Hitler's armed forces
> or his secret police have died of old age already. Of those that are
> still living, the vast majority were low in rank and didn't give the
> orders for those atrocities. The generation that VOTED for Hitler -
> basically the parents of the people who served in the German armed
> forces and security services - are already long dead. Do you really feel
> it necessary to punish the handful of very old people who lived in those
> days and are still alive and the very large number of people who were
> born after - sometimes LONG after - WW II?

He apparently believes in a more biblical version of political
correctness-- punishing the sons for the actions of the fathers to the
second or third generation.

Rhino

On 2013-10-31 11:12 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <l4rrv9$mg2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Rhino <no_offline_contact_please@example.com> wrote:

>>> I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until roughly
>>> the middle of this century.
>>>
>> Give me a break!
>>
>> Assuming this is because of Hitler and the Holocaust, I hope you realize
>> that almost the entire generation that served in Hitler's armed forces
>> or his secret police have died of old age already. Of those that are
>> still living, the vast majority were low in rank and didn't give the
>> orders for those atrocities. The generation that VOTED for Hitler -
>> basically the parents of the people who served in the German armed
>> forces and security services - are already long dead. Do you really feel
>> it necessary to punish the handful of very old people who lived in those
>> days and are still alive and the very large number of people who were
>> born after - sometimes LONG after - WW II?
>
> He apparently believes in a more biblical version of political
> correctness-- punishing the sons for the actions of the fathers to the
> second or third generation.

I'm surprised he lets it go at a century. Why not just keep punishing
the great-great-great-great.....great-grandchildren for all of eternity?

--
Rhino

Adam H. Kerman

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>David <dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38:02 PM UTC-4, Jim G. wrote:

>>>I hate this kind of "I'm offended" crap. My background is German, and if
>>>a kid had made a crack (say, about the spying on Merkel business) about
>>>killing all of the Germans, I would have just laughed.

>>I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until
>>roughly the middle of this century.

>Why not go all the way with your prejudice and expand your bigotry to
>'all white people'. That way you'll be more in line with the mainstream
>grievance groups.

What the fuck is it with you and an inability to recognize sarcasm?

Also, H*tl*r despise the Poles and killed a significant number of
civilians (or is that a myth, too?) Last I looked, they could be whiter than
Swedes.

So your bitch is stupid and incredibly misplaced.

David

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:56:35 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:

> I'm surprised he lets it go at a century. Why not just keep punishing
> the great-great-great-great.....great-grandchildren for all of eternity?

It's not about "punishing." The topic is should they get offended at German jokes/insults.

Rhino

On 2013-10-31 3:06 PM, David wrote:
> On Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:56:35 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised he lets it go at a century. Why not just keep punishing
>> the great-great-great-great.....great-grandchildren for all of eternity?
>
> It's not about "punishing." The topic is should they get offended at German jokes/insults.

So a "young" German (say, anyone under 50) who has Hitler thrown in his
face for the umpteenth time even though he was born well after the war
was over, has absolutely no right to resent someone associating him with
Hitler even today? And won't have that right until 100 years after the
war ended in 2045? (Or is it 100 years after Hitler was elected, which
would make it 2033?)

How very enlightened of you....

--
Rhino

Rhino

On 2013-10-31 3:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> David <dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I think Germans have relinquished the right to be offended until
>>> roughly the middle of this century.
>
>> Why not go all the way with your prejudice and expand your bigotry to
>> 'all white people'. That way you'll be more in line with the mainstream
>> grievance groups.
>
> What the fuck is it with you and an inability to recognize sarcasm?
>
> Also, H*tl*r despise the Poles and killed a significant number of
> civilians (or is that a myth, too?) Last I looked, they could be whiter than
> Swedes.
>
> So your bitch is stupid and incredibly misplaced.

Adam, I was just thinking about you. I've had my say on this whole
German subthread and wanted to ask you something completely unrelated.

Are you allowed to turn right on a red light in Illinois? I know you're
from Chicago so I assume you know the rules of the road there.

The reason I ask is that I was behind an SUV from Illinois this morning
and he (a generic "he", the driver might have been a woman but I
couldn't tell through the tinting) resolutely refused to turn right on a
red, even after I encouraged him by winking my lights, which is one of
the things we do in Ontario.

I know that NY state prohibits right turns on a red light but I'm not
sure which other states have that rule. I know Michigan and Ohio DO
allow rights on red lights.

Now in all fairness, the intersection was a bit odd. The driver in
question was going south and was poised to turn right (west) in the
right turn lane. I was immediately behind him. The signal we got was red
but there was a green arrow pointing right below the standard
red/green/amber signal. This guy waited until the green arrow turned
off, then waited a while longer and then finally turned on the solid red
with no arrow lit. I think he may have been waiting for a green light
(or a green light and a green arrow) and it finally dawned on him that
it wasn't going to happen so he made the turn. I could well imagine
being in the same position and wanting to wait for a green light, not
just a red light with a green arrow, if I was from a state that didn't
let you turn right on a red.

It was just a little exasperating waiting for this guy to move as I was
already running late and lost additional minutes waiting for this little
drama to play itself out.

--
Rhino