License of the ruby standard library

Thilina Buddhika

11/16/2007 10:11:00 AM

hi,
I am not going to ask any technical issue. What is the license that is
applied for the Ruby standard library(which is distributed with ruby
installation).

Can we redistribute it ?

thanks and regards,
buddhika

Ron Fox

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/...
Says:
"This program is free software. You can re-distribute and/or modify this
program under the same terms of ruby itself â?? Ruby Distribution License
or GNU General Public License."

So that would be a dual license of the Ruby Distribution License or
the GPL.

Ruby distribution license is documented in:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/L...

and the GPL 1/2 text can be found at:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/old-license...

while the GPL version 3 is at http://www.gnu.org/copylef...

Ron.

Thilina Buddhika wrote:
> hi,
> I am not going to ask any technical issue. What is the license that is
> applied for the Ruby standard library(which is distributed with ruby
> installation).
>

> Can we redistribute it ?
>

> thanks and regards,
> buddhika

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 16, 2007 6:10 AM, Ron Fox <fox@nscl.msu.edu> wrote:
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/...
> Says:
> "This program is free software. You can re-distribute and/or modify this
> program under the same terms of ruby itself =97 Ruby Distribution License
> or GNU General Public License."
>
> So that would be a dual license of the Ruby Distribution License or
> the GPL.

That's a sample of 1 from the components of the standard library.

There are actually a variety of licensing terms in the various pieces of ru=
by.

Unfortunately the picture isn't entirely clear see for example
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/127...

--=20
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby