best open source sample

Johnny Ruin

11/13/2007 3:17:00 PM

Hi, I'm new to Ruby, looking for a good open source project to look at
and learn from. I'd like it to access mysql and take queries from
the browser. What projects would you suggest?

3 Answers

Michel Boaventura

If you like web and sql, try to take a look on rails.
http://www.rubyon...

On Nov 13, 8:44 am, Michel Boaventura <michel.boavent...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you like web and sql, try to take a look on rails.http://www.rubyon...
>
> 2007/11/13, Johnny <schafer.d...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi, I'm new to Ruby, looking for a good open source project to look at
> > and learn from. I'd like it to access mysql and take queries from
> > the browser. What projects would you suggest?

Thanks Michel - that should get me going.

Richard Conroy

On Nov 13, 2007 3:20 PM, Johnny <schafer.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Ruby, looking for a good open source project to look at
> and learn from. I'd like it to access mysql and take queries from
> the browser. What projects would you suggest?

In general Rails seems to be the only active Ruby Open Source project
that combines
Database integration with the web. And a great job it does too. However there is
probably too much there for someone new.

There are several Ruby web projects out there that try different
approaches, are usually
smaller (easier to get to grips with, more opportunity to contribute)
and often advocate
a more pluggable approach to web stacks. Usually they allow you to choose your
Data Layer, or your presentation layer, give you fine grained control
over Routing etc.

Rack, Merb, Sinatra, Camping etc. I don't know how active Nitro or
IOWA are anymore.