User awake?

Ernst Tanaka

11/12/2007 6:07:00 PM

I am a new RUBY programmer. so far I managed to write a 'listener' for
my quote stream, maintain a quote database and fire off email messengers
as alerts when certain condition occur. This all happened in the last 2
weeks!

I would like to add a possibility to send these alerts to my cellphone.
I manage to send them straight forward as an email. Which is good enough
for me (for now).

But I would like my program select the destination of the email
automatically based on the fact if I am behind my computer or not.

If behind_computer
-- send email to desktop
else
-- send email to cellphone
end

One of the thoughts I have is to use the mouse movement to determine if
I am around. Like if the mouse has not been moved for 5 minutes - Then I
am not around.

q's
= Does anyone has a better suggestion
= Does anyone know how I can figure out if the mouse has been moved
within the last 5 min

As always thank you!!
Ernst

Jano Svitok

On Nov 12, 2007 7:07 PM, Ernst Tanaka <ernst@tanakasite.com> wrote:
> I am a new RUBY programmer. so far I managed to write a 'listener' for
> my quote stream, maintain a quote database and fire off email messengers
> as alerts when certain condition occur. This all happened in the last 2
> weeks!
>
> I would like to add a possibility to send these alerts to my cellphone.
> I manage to send them straight forward as an email. Which is good enough
> for me (for now).
>
> But I would like my program select the destination of the email
> automatically based on the fact if I am behind my computer or not.
>
> If behind_computer
> -- send email to desktop
> else
> -- send email to cellphone
> end
>
> One of the thoughts I have is to use the mouse movement to determine if
> I am around. Like if the mouse has not been moved for 5 minutes - Then I
> am not around.
>
> q's
> = Does anyone has a better suggestion

depends on the system you are on.
on linux/unix, you can do `w`.grep(/your_username/) to see if you're logged in.
on windows, it would require Win32API or WMI (using COM/Win32OLE)

Ernst Tanaka

Jano Svitok wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2007 7:07 PM, Ernst Tanaka <ernst@tanakasite.com> wrote:
>> automatically based on the fact if I am behind my computer or not.
>>
>> q's
>> = Does anyone has a better suggestion
>
> depends on the system you are on.
> on linux/unix, you can do `w`.grep(/your_username/) to see if you're
> logged in.
> on windows, it would require Win32API or WMI (using COM/Win32OLE)

Thanks for you help -- I will look into that direction.

By the way I am using Windows XP