Re: A question for Matz

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: A question for Matz"
on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:38:33 +0900, Lloyd Linklater <lloyd@2live4.com> writes:

|I just saw Black Lagoon and the director of photography is Yukihiro
|Matsumoto. Could that, by any chance, be you?

I don't think so. Both Yukihiro and Matsumoto are common names among
Japanese.

matz.

10 Answers

Pat Maddox

On Nov 10, 2007 4:05 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: A question for Matz"
> on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:38:33 +0900, Lloyd Linklater <lloyd@2live4.com> writes:
>
> |I just saw Black Lagoon and the director of photography is Yukihiro
> |Matsumoto. Could that, by any chance, be you?
>
> I don't think so. Both Yukihiro and Matsumoto are common names among
> Japanese.
>
> matz.

I love how the answer is "I don't think so" instead of just "no."
It's like there's a very slim possibility that you were the director
of photography for this film and just can't quite remember it :)

Pat

Rick DeNatale

On 11/10/07, Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 4:05 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "Re: A question for Matz"
> > on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:38:33 +0900, Lloyd Linklater <lloyd@2live4.com> writes:
> >
> > |I just saw Black Lagoon and the director of photography is Yukihiro
> > |Matsumoto. Could that, by any chance, be you?
> >
> > I don't think so. Both Yukihiro and Matsumoto are common names among
> > Japanese.
> >
> > matz.
> >

> I love how the answer is "I don't think so" instead of just "no."
> It's like there's a very slim possibility that you were the director
> of photography for this film and just can't quite remember it :)

Hey, I can sympathize with Matz here. I also sometimes suspect that
I've got an evil twin whose deeds I get blamed for, but then again...
<G>

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

list. rb

It was like..
false.to_s

On Nov 10, 2007 7:48 AM, Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2007 4:05 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "Re: A question for Matz"
> > on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:38:33 +0900, Lloyd Linklater <lloyd@2live4.com>
> writes:
> >
> > |I just saw Black Lagoon and the director of photography is Yukihiro
> > |Matsumoto. Could that, by any chance, be you?
> >
> > I don't think so. Both Yukihiro and Matsumoto are common names among
> > Japanese.
> >
> > matz.
> >

> I love how the answer is "I don't think so" instead of just "no."
> It's like there's a very slim possibility that you were the director
> of photography for this film and just can't quite remember it :)
>
> Pat

Lloyd Linklater

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
> |I just saw Black Lagoon and the director of photography is Yukihiro
> |Matsumoto. Could that, by any chance, be you?
>
> I don't think so. Both Yukihiro and Matsumoto are common names among
> Japanese.
>
> matz.

I know that people can do many things. It would not have surprised me
to learn that you have such skills in your arsenal along with
programming. :)

Thank you for responding.

Bill Steele

In article <kte8ab$tia$7@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Bill Steele sent the following on 7/31/2013 1:18 PM:
> > In article <vingv85tnhkir3co84883n5jctmr7c72h8@4ax.com>,
> > David <dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ?It will be fun for the audience to see how we do our take on
> >> The Flash?s powers. Some will feel very familiar to those who know the
> >> comics, and other stuff will feel different yet fresh and exciting.?
> >
> > Fresh? Either we see him as a blur as on the old Flash show, or we see
> > it from his point of view, as on Smallville.
>
> Or they could slow down everything around him, but not him. That would
> probably count as "fresh" to a Hollywood type.

That's what I was referencing in Smallville.

> I kind of have a hard time seeing a 50-something-year-old character
> being "fresh" under even the best of circumstances. I prefer "less
> stale" versus "more stale."

Well, all these characters go back to the 40s, although we're working
mostly with the rebooted versions that were "fresh" in the 60s.

Technically, Marvel created a lot of new characters, but also new
characters using old names they had lying around. DC, jumping on the
bandwagon, flat out re-used their old characters with new origins.

legal process

"Bill Steele" <ws21@cornel.edu> wrote in message
> In article <kte8ab$tia$7@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Bill Steele sent the following on 7/31/2013 1:18 PM:

>> > Fresh? Either we see him as a blur as on the old Flash show, or we see
>> > it from his point of view, as on Smallville.
>>
>> Or they could slow down everything around him, but not him. That would
>> probably count as "fresh" to a Hollywood type.
>
> That's what I was referencing in Smallville.
>>
>> I kind of have a hard time seeing a 50-something-year-old character
>> being "fresh" under even the best of circumstances. I prefer "less
>> stale" versus "more stale."
>
> Well, all these characters go back to the 40s, although we're working
> mostly with the rebooted versions that were "fresh" in the 60s.
>
> Technically, Marvel created a lot of new characters, but also new
> characters using old names they had lying around. DC, jumping on the
> bandwagon, flat out re-used their old characters with new origins.

Although I agree with you what you say, generally... The revamped Flash
predated Marvel, as did the JLA and other revamped characters,.... however,
if memory serves, the FF and Avengers were Marvel's reponse to the JLA...
then again, Marvel did touch the heart of its audience in a way that DC
didn't back then in the late 50s/early 60s.

KalElFan

"legal process" wrote in message

> ... Marvel did touch the heart of its audience in a way that DC
> didn't back then in the late 50s/early 60s.

Why do you think that and what evidence do you have to
support it?

David Johnston

On 8/3/2013 1:49 PM, KalElFan wrote:
> "legal process" wrote in message
>
>> ... Marvel did touch the heart of its audience in a way that DC
>> didn't back then in the late 50s/early 60s.
>
> Why do you think that and what evidence do you have to
> support it?

His time estimate is wrong but Marvel's sales figures steadily increased
starting in 1960, overtaking them by 1966 while DC's figures stayed
steady until 1966 and then declined.

David Johnston

On 8/13/2013 8:30 AM, William George Ferguson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:44:00 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <33ei099gdo5j9bkjlcd2efjaoc25apvgan@4ax.com>,
>> William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No 'ifs' 'ands' or 'buts', everyone agrees the Silver Age began at DC (and
>>> generally agree that Showcase#4 was the start)
>>
>> Do we all agree that Gerry Conway murdered it with Amazing Spider-Man
>> 121?
>
> Well I do, but there are strong DC adherents who would argue for CoIE#7
> (aka, the day I stopped reading DC for two decades). After all, Gwen just
> died.

Wrong era. That was part of the end of DC's Bronze Age. DC's _Silver_
Age ended with Speedy living up to his name and becoming a junkie.

Anim8rFSK

In article <7igk09p4ldptp5lei6irirk0385dea5iel@4ax.com>,
William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:44:00 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <33ei099gdo5j9bkjlcd2efjaoc25apvgan@4ax.com>,
> > William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> >> No 'ifs' 'ands' or 'buts', everyone agrees the Silver Age began at DC (and
> >> generally agree that Showcase#4 was the start)
> >
> >Do we all agree that Gerry Conway murdered it with Amazing Spider-Man
> >121?
>
> Well I do, but there are strong DC adherents who would argue for CoIE#7
> (aka, the day I stopped reading DC for two decades). After all, Gwen just
> died.

I guess the difference for me was that we knew about Kara so far in
advance, right down to the cover. And then hacks like Byrne and
Strazinski pissed on their graves. I think that all in all Kara has
gotten better afterlife treatment though. Wonder if Boston Brand ever
told anybody she was dead and fine?

Supergirl died, and then was retconned out of existence.
Superboy was retconned out of existence, and then died.

I so wish they'd honored the Legion request to have Kara trapped in the
future (which they almost got away with on the animated show too). But,
no, Byrne stamped his little foot and hissy fitted Kara away, so he
could bring her back in the stupidest most ill conceived move in recent
memory ... she's a simulacrum of Lana Lang who disguises herself (why?
There are like 6 people left alive in her universe - who's she trying to
fool?) as Supergirl (who? Nobody REMEMBERS Supergirl.
She-never-existed. Who is she disguising herself AS, and why do you
think somebody will recognize someone no one ever heard of?).

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?