Problem with arrays

Michel Boaventura

Hello,

I'm coding a program which implements the levenshtein distance between two
strings. It works, but very slowly.

I discover that the slowest line in the code is:

current[j] = m

where current is an array of Fixnum, and m is a Fixnum.

If i comment this line the program runs about 50 times faster.
If I change it to any other thing, like "current[j] = 1" it still running
fast.

I can't understand why "current[j] = 1" is faster than "current[j] = m".

Thanks,

Michel Boaventura

1 Answer

Lloyd Linklater

Michel Boaventura wrote:
> I discover that the slowest line in the code is:
>
> current[j] = m
>
> where current is an array of Fixnum, and m is a Fixnum.
>
> If i comment this line the program runs about 50 times faster.
> If I change it to any other thing, like "current[j] = 1" it still
> running
> fast.
>
> I can't understand why "current[j] = 1" is faster than "current[j] = m".

As far as I can tell, it is not faster.

n = 10_000_000

start_time = Time.now
intarr = [1, 2, 3]