threaded and forked select with timeout is impacted by syste

Robert Williams

11/6/2007 2:25:00 PM

I am using ruby 1.8.6 on Fedora Core 6 and 7

I have encountered a problem with the timeout for a select statement
inside a thread or fork.

If the timeout is set for a duration of time and the system time is
moved back one hour the duration is increased 1
hour. If the time is moved forward 1 hour the duration is shortened one
hour or fires instantly once the duration has
been exceeded.

I tested this functionality in c and timeout duration is not impacted by
a system time change.

For a simple test...

create a thread that loops 30 times
sleep for 1 second (select with 1 second timeout)
and put a string to the console

While the program is running set the system time back say 5 seconds
you will see a 5 second gap between prints.

Gary Wright

On Nov 6, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Robert Williams wrote:

> If the timeout is set for a duration of time and the system time is
> moved back one hour the duration is increased 1
> hour. If the time is moved forward 1 hour the duration is
> shortened one
> hour or fires instantly once the duration has
> been exceeded.

I'm not sure why the Ruby version fails and the C version works, but
it is generally considered a really big mistake to alter a system clock
in this way. Are you adjusting for daylight savings? The underlying
clock should be in GMT and then daylight savings is simply handled by
changing the way the GMT time is displayed. That is to say, the
underlying clock doesn't change at all for daylight savings.

If you really have to change the underlying system clock, I would do
it in single user mode or at least after stopping any daemons or
long running applications.

Gary Wright

dsharavi

On Feb 26, 10:33 am, Stan de SD <stand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 10:01 am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JUDAISM NATURAL SOCIAL SYSTEM TO DEVELOP HUMANITY.  ISLAM NATURAL SYSTEM
> > TO DESTROY HUMANITY.
> > By Aviroce
>
> > If Obama is rooted in Islamic culture the reason why he is
> > administering this Empire, Islam is proven to be the Greatest Legal
> > Social System to Develop Mankind the reason why Muslims number now
> > about Two Billion Persons.
>
> I guess since the Muslim world is running so great, your people won't
> need to emigrate to the US, Canada, or Europe anymore right?

If it's really running so great, we can cut off all the $$$billions in
foreign aid we shower in the Muslim world, huh?

> Actions speak louder than words.

You would think. It seems, however, that people hear and believe Arab
palaver, and totally ignore their bloodthirsty actions. Often, too,
they ignore what Arabs say, as when Abu Mazen announces that all Jews
and gays will be driven from the "palestinian" state -- but that the
world will must still funnel $$$billions into that state.

Time for the world to kick them out of Mom's house, make them get
jobs, and live like adults instead of the whiney spoiled brats they
are.

CB@PrayForMe.com

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:33:37 -0800 (PST), Stan de SD
<standesd@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 26, 10:01?am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ISLAM NATURAL SOCIAL SYSTEM TO DEVELOP HUMANITY. ?JEWS NATURAL SYSTEM
>> TO DESTROY HUMANITY.
>> By Aviroce
>>
>> If Obama is rooted in Islamic culture the reason why he is
>> administering this Empire, Islam is proven to be the Greatest Legal
>> Social System to Develop Mankind the reason why Muslims number now
>> about Two Billion Persons.
>
>I guess since the Muslim world is running so great, your people won't
>need to emigrate to the US, Canada, or Europe anymore right?
>
>Actions speak louder than words.

God cursed the middle east when Cain murdered his brother Able
(Genesis 4:10-12). God describes the middle easterner as a 'wild ass'
of men and condemned him to be a nomad. (Genesis 16:12)

He still is a wild ass of men having made enemies were ever he goes.

Is it no wonder why the civilized world must wage a Crusade every few
years to drive the wild ass of men back into his spider hole?

Aviroce

And conversely, since the Muslims are that bad as you attempt to
describe them why don't we leave them alone and stay away from them?
You need to read some articles I wrote about Islam and our USA
Constitution, not Jew Constitution. One article in mind, "Thomas
Jefferson did not do enough. He had the Koran."

On Feb 26, 10:33 am, Stan de SD <stand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 10:01 am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ISLAM NATURAL SOCIAL SYSTEM TO DEVELOP HUMANITY.  JEWS NATURAL SYSTEM
> > TO DESTROY HUMANITY.
> > By Aviroce
>
> > If Obama is rooted in Islamic culture the reason why he is
> > administering this Empire, Islam is proven to be the Greatest Legal
> > Social System to Develop Mankind the reason why Muslims number now
> > about Two Billion Persons.
>
> I guess since the Muslim world is running so great, your people won't
> need to emigrate to the US, Canada, or Europe anymore right?
>
> Actions speak louder than words.

Aviroce

The Arabic word for you is "Ishtihad." The American word for you as I
realized yesterday is "Spin." You spin like Limbaugh. He is a Jew
and you are a Jew and both have the same agenda.

As a historian, you should know America does not give Aid. America
buys and exchanges money for power and resources if it cannot steal
them first hand.

As a historian, you should be familiar with the desruction of Arab and
Muslim countries when the Jews took over Palestine and created Israel
under the supervision and total support of USA. Colonization created
the ailments and adversity among Palestinians, Arabs and Muslims.
Some guy from Penn State wrote a nice book on imperialism and
colonization. You need to read it. If it does not help your cause
at least you have a new perspective.

On Feb 26, 11:12 am, dsharavi <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 10:33 am, Stan de SD <stand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 26, 10:01 am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > JUDAISM NATURAL SOCIAL SYSTEM TO DEVELOP HUMANITY.  ISLAM NATURAL SYSTEM
> > > TO DESTROY HUMANITY.
> > > By Aviroce
>
> > > If Obama is rooted in Islamic culture the reason why he is
> > > administering this Empire, Islam is proven to be the Greatest Legal
> > > Social System to Develop Mankind the reason why Muslims number now
> > > about Two Billion Persons.
>
> > I guess since the Muslim world is running so great, your people won't
> > need to emigrate to the US, Canada, or Europe anymore right?
>
> If it's really running so great, we can cut off all the $$$billions in
> foreign aid we shower in the Muslim world, huh?
>
> > Actions speak louder than words.
>
> You would think. It seems, however, that people hear and believe Arab
> palaver, and totally ignore their bloodthirsty actions. Often, too,
> they ignore what Arabs say, as when Abu Mazen announces that all Jews
> and gays will be driven from the "palestinian" state -- but that the
> world will must still funnel $$$billions into that state.
>
> Time for the world to kick them out of Mom's house, make them get
> jobs, and live like adults instead of the whiney spoiled brats they
> are.

Aviroce

God is a Shit, a dry shit and you are attempting to water it to gain
more of its bad smell. So much for your knowledge and your
authorities.

On Mar 4, 9:57 am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Arabic word for you is "Ishtihad."  The American word for you as I
> realized yesterday is "Spin."  You spin like Limbaugh.  He is a Jew

ROTFLOL! If he's a Jew, so are you. And the American word for you is a
form of Arabic "ishtihad", except we pronounce it "shithead".

[snip loony fantazia]

CUNTICA

Aviroce the turd

Do I have this right?

^
( )
( )

^ ^
( ) ( )
( ) ( )
V V

^ ^
( ) ( )
( ) ( )
V V

That you look like a pile of camel shit & turds!

Aviroce

Funny spin. I think you are wasted on Zionism which is destroying
Judaism if this exists.

On Mar 4, 12:43 pm, dsharavi <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:57 am, Aviroce <dudaras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Arabic word for you is "Ishtihad."  The American word for you as I
> > realized yesterday is "Spin."  You spin like Limbaugh.  He is a Jew
>
> ROTFLOL! If he's a Jew, so are you. And the American word for you is a
> form of Arabic "ishtihad", except we pronounce it "shithead".
>
> [snip loony fantazia]

Aviroce

JEWS: STARTED WWII THROUGH POLAND AND ENGLAND AND NOW THEY WANT WWIII
STARTED THROUGH ISRAEL AND USA.
By Aviroce

The best resolution of a Nuclear Bomb Standoff is Mutual Disarmament.
Israel would shed off its nuclear bombs, chemical and biological bombs
and Iran would gear all its efforts to merely producing nuclear fuel
under supervision and the same supervision would also apply to
Israel. You can see Jews are not trustworthy. They want to start
WWIII like they started WWII. Jews allied with Poland and England to
attack Germany, their own country of origin fighting to kill their own
people, began WWII. Hitler taught them some lesson on betraying
country of origin. Now Israel and Jews are pushing to start WWIII.
Like Poland convincing England to have the War Power to attack
Germany, Israel convincing USA to start WWIII. Obama does not seem to
buy it. Republicans would buy it instantly. Republicans are not
loyal Americans. They have been bought and sold by Jews.

Aviroce