Drawing in ruby (antigrain bindings

Emmanuel Oga

11/4/2007 11:49:00 PM

Hi! I'm needing a good drawing solution for ruby. All the present
options are ugly IMHO, because require a very big framework to work
(cairo needs GTK bindings for ruby for working out of the box in
windows, don't know how it is on linux). ImageMagick seems to be hated
by rubyists everywhere, due to some memory leaks or something....

I found a very criptic reference to a ruby bindings for antigrain in
this 2005 "nostalgia" post :) :

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/35c2f61d29e94550/28b32a...

Does anybody know if there any news about antigrain bindings for ruby?

Thanks!ª

_why

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:48:48AM +0900, Emmanuel Oga wrote:
> I found a very criptic reference to a ruby bindings for antigrain in
> this 2005 "nostalgia" post :) :

Well, I don't think the Ruby/AGG and Ruby/View stuff ever came to
fruition. Yes, I know, I feel the same way.

Since it sounds like you're on Windows, I don't know, you might like
to try Shoes, which is a Cairo/Pango/Ruby kit that is kind of like a
very barebones Flash/HTML hybrid. You can draw primitive shapes and
paths, borrowing its drawing API from NodeBox and Processing.

The wiki is http://code.whytheluckystiff....
For now, the reference is http://code.whytheluckystiff.net...

There's also a wonderful thing called Scribble (by Nathan Weizenbaum,)
but I'm not sure how to get it going on Windows. I'll bet somebody
on this list has done it before, though.

_why

Jakub Hegenbart

oga_emmanuel_oga@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
> Hi! I'm needing a good drawing solution for ruby. All the present
> options are ugly IMHO, because require a very big framework to work
> (cairo needs GTK bindings for ruby for working out of the box in
> windows, don't know how it is on linux). ImageMagick seems to be hated
> by rubyists everywhere, due to some memory leaks or something....
>
> I found a very criptic reference to a ruby bindings for antigrain in
> this 2005 "nostalgia" post :) :
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/35c2f61d29e94550/28b32a...
>
> Does anybody know if there any news about antigrain bindings for ruby?
>
> Thanks!ª

This might sound as crazy suggestion, but you might as well generate SVG
from Ruby quite easily. Depending on what you are planning to do, this
approach might or might not have some interesting benefits - like the
option of having some interactivity in a web browser. I'm not sure if
there are "off-the-shelf" libraries to do this right now, but SVG should
not be that difficult. You can easily convert SVG to anything else later.

HTH,

Jakub

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:48:48 +0900
> Von: Emmanuel Oga <oga_emmanuel_oga@yahoo.com.ar>
> An: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Drawing in ruby (antigrain bindings)

> Hi! I'm needing a good drawing solution for ruby. All the present
> options are ugly IMHO, because require a very big framework to work
> (cairo needs GTK bindings for ruby for working out of the box in
> windows, don't know how it is on linux). ImageMagick seems to be hated
> by rubyists everywhere, due to some memory leaks or something....
>
> I found a very criptic reference to a ruby bindings for antigrain in
> this 2005 "nostalgia" post :) :
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/35c2f61d29e94550/28b32a...
>
> Does anybody know if there any news about antigrain bindings for ruby?
>
> Thanks!ª

Dear Emanuel,

as antigrain seems to be written in C++, you may be able to use it
in conjunction with Ruby via SWIG:

http://www...

There are some examples on how to do that here:
http://www.goto.info.waseda.ac.jp/~fukusima/ruby/swig...

Best regards,

Axel
Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mult...

John Joyce

Give RMagick a try, it's not so leaky as you've heard.
It can do vector and raster art. Quite good stuff!
Tim Hunter maintains it well.