installing bleak house on osx

ara.t.howard

11/2/2007 10:44:00 PM

anyone else gotten this?

cfp:~ > sudo gem install bleak_house
Password:
Install required dependency ccsv? [Yn] y
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install bleak_house
/opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4:in `require': no such file to load
-- rbconfig (LoadError)
from /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4
from build_logger.rb:1:in `require'
from build_logger.rb:1

Gem files will remain installed in /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
bleak_house-3.3 for inspection.
Results logged to /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bleak_house-3.3/
ext/bleak_house/logger/gem_make.out

??

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

6 Answers

Giles Bowkett

> anyone else gotten this?
>

> cfp:~ > sudo gem install bleak_house
> Password:
> Install required dependency ccsv? [Yn] y
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install bleak_house
> /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4:in `require': no such file to load
> -- rbconfig (LoadError)
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4
> from build_logger.rb:1:in `require'
> from build_logger.rb:1
>

> Gem files will remain installed in /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> bleak_house-3.3 for inspection.
> Results logged to /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bleak_house-3.3/
> ext/bleak_house/logger/gem_make.out
>

> ??

I think I got something similar with a different gem once. Also failed
on the build and also got confused about whether or not it had been
installed. I just cleared everything out and did it again from scratch
and it worked OK. Took a couple tries though, IIRC.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles.t...

alexmle@gmail.com

On Nov 2, 3:44 pm, ara.t.how...@gmail.com wrote:
> anyone else gotten this?
>
> cfp:~ > sudo gem install bleak_house
> Password:
> Install required dependency ccsv? [Yn] y
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install bleak_house
> /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4:in `require': no such file to load
> -- rbconfig (LoadError)
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4
> from build_logger.rb:1:in `require'
> from build_logger.rb:1
>
> Gem files will remain installed in /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> bleak_house-3.3 for inspection.
> Results logged to /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bleak_house-3.3/
> ext/bleak_house/logger/gem_make.out
>
> ??
>
> a @http://codeforp...
> --
> we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being
> better. simply reflect on that.
> h.h. the 14th dalai lama

I'm currently getting this error, help would be appreciated. Evan
Weaver's blog doesn't seem to be updated with information about the
current versions.

Rick DeNatale

On Nov 13, 2007 2:10 AM, alexmle@gmail.com <alexmle@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 3:44 pm, ara.t.how...@gmail.com wrote:
> > anyone else gotten this?
> >
> > cfp:~ > sudo gem install bleak_house
> > Password:
> > Install required dependency ccsv? [Yn] y
> > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> >
> > ruby extconf.rb install bleak_house
> > /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4:in `require': no such file to load
> > -- rbconfig (LoadError)
> > from /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:4
> > from build_logger.rb:1:in `require'
> > from build_logger.rb:1
> >
> > Gem files will remain installed in /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> > bleak_house-3.3 for inspection.
> > Results logged to /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bleak_house-3.3/
> > ext/bleak_house/logger/gem_make.out
> >
> > ??
> >
> > a @http://codeforp...
> > --
> > we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being
> > better. simply reflect on that.
> > h.h. the 14th dalai lama
>
> I'm currently getting this error, help would be appreciated. Evan
> Weaver's blog doesn't seem to be updated with information about the
> current versions.

Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in here:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?foru...

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

ara.t.howard

On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:10 AM, alexmle@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm currently getting this error, help would be appreciated. Evan
> Weaver's blog doesn't seem to be updated with information about the
> current versions.

i never did get it to build either...

a @ http://codeforp...
--
it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

taryn

On Nov 14, 5:40 am, "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:10 AM, alex...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I'm currently getting this error, help would be appreciated. Evan
> > Weaver's blog doesn't seem to be updated with information about the
> > current versions.
>
> i never did get it to build either...
>
> a @http://codeforp...
> --
> it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
> h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Ok, I had the same problem and have just fixed it.

What was happening was that it couldn't find rbconfig.rb. On my
computer, this is located in:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.9.1

but it was looking for it one directory up.

so from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/ go and put a symlink in thus:
sudo ln -s i686-darwin8.9.1/rbconfig.rb rbconfig.rb

and it all worked fine from then on.

Cheers,
Taryn

taryn

On Nov 27, 4:11 pm, ta...@sirca.org.au wrote:
> On Nov 14, 5:40 am, "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:10 AM, alex...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > I'm currently getting this error, help would be appreciated. Evan
> > > Weaver's blog doesn't seem to be updated with information about the
> > > current versions.
>
> > i never did get it to build either...
>
> > a @http://codeforp...
> > --
> > it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
> > h.h. the 14th dalai lama
>
> Ok, I had the same problem and have just fixed it.
>
> What was happening was that it couldn't find rbconfig.rb. On my
> computer, this is located in:
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.9.1
>
> but it was looking for it one directory up.
>
> so from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/ go and put a symlink in thus:
> sudo ln -s i686-darwin8.9.1/rbconfig.rb rbconfig.rb
>
> and it all worked fine from then on.
>
> Cheers,
> Taryn

ok - a better solution... add "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/" to your $PATH
and all will be happy.