Dinner / drink recommendations for Charlotte?

Francis Hwang

10/31/2007 4:34:00 PM

With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
give some advice about good places to eat & drink?

12 Answers

David A. Black

James Britt

David A. Black wrote:
> Hi Francis --
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Francis Hwang wrote:
>
>> With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
>> give some advice about good places to eat & drink?
>
> Scott Nedderman put together a map on the Charlotte Ruby Group site:
>
> http://charlot...

(Quick snark: charcoal gray text on a black background? Poor design.)

The site says there's a gathering at Ri-Ra's, and links to a Facebook
page. The Facebook page has a blurb about Ri-Ra's that links to:
http://charlot....

Where is Ri-Ra's, and what other pre-conf gatherings are planned?

Thanks,

--
James Britt

"I suspect IDEs are like Bail Bondsmen. It may be a good sign if you
don't know what they're for."
- Paul Graham

Matt Lawrence

Wilson Bilkovich

On 10/31/07, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Francis Hwang wrote:
>
> > With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
> > give some advice about good places to eat & drink?
>
> You expect to get out of the hotel? Wow. I'm expecting a few days of
> intense learning and networking with some of the most brilliant people I
> have ever met. Food and drink are far less interesting.

The most brilliant people you have ever met also need to eat, and so
will be visiting various restaurants.

Sebastia

On 2007-10-31 11:34:02 -0500, Francis Hwang <francisphwang@gmail.com> said:

> With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
> give some advice about good places to eat & drink?

My Charlotte sources tell me that Fried Pickles at the The Penguin
Drive-In [1] is all you 'less-brilliant' people will be needing... :)

They also speak very highly of Fuel Pizza ("best pizza") [2] and
Chik-Fil-A ("best fast food ever"). All seems to be right around the
Omni.

cheers,
sebastian

[1] http://www.penguindr...
[2] http://www.fuel...

7stud --

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Francis Hwang wrote:
>
>> With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
>> give some advice about good places to eat & drink?
>
> You expect to get out of the hotel? Wow. I'm expecting a few days of
> intense learning and networking with some of the most brilliant people I
> have ever met. Food and drink are far less interesting.
>
> Now, if somebody wanted to talk to me about a job, I might be able to
> make
> time for it.

Would you consider hawking "Learning Python" books to the uninitiated?
It won't take much effort. If you read a few passages to the throng,
they will snap up all the copies you have.

Giles Bowkett

> > With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
> > give some advice about good places to eat & drink?
>
> You expect to get out of the hotel? Wow. I'm expecting a few days of
> intense learning and networking with some of the most brilliant people I
> have ever met. Food and drink are far less interesting.
>
> Now, if somebody wanted to talk to me about a job, I might be able to make
> time for it.

I think I know **why** some people are planning to leave the hotel --
so they can get away from the San Francisco Rails programmers and have
a sensible conversation without getting sprayed in the face with
irrelevant rudeness coming out of nowhere. You boys really need to
learn to keep those things in your pants.

I was so depressed about missing RubyConf until I read this. I'm still
bummed, but at least there's a silver lining. I won't have to deal
with the unprovoked, irrelevant, aggressive condescension that the
Rails community is famous for.

But what would I know? Why should anyone listen to me? I'm not even
going to be at RubyConf. I'm going to be somewhere eating food. God.
What a loser. Who eats food?

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles.t...

Drew Olson

James Britt wrote:
> David A. Black wrote:
>>
> (Quick snark: charcoal gray text on a black background? Poor design.)
>
> The site says there's a gathering at Ri-Ra's, and links to a Facebook
> page. The Facebook page has a blurb about Ri-Ra's that links to:
> http://charlot....
>
> Where is Ri-Ra's, and what other pre-conf gatherings are planned?

I can attest that Ri-Ra's is a great time if you're into the Irish pub
thing. We had a blast there on St. Paddy's Day last year.

- Drew

Pat Maddox

On Nov 1, 2007 12:51 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > With RubyConf 2007 almost upon us, do any Charlotte natives care to
> > > give some advice about good places to eat & drink?
> >
> > You expect to get out of the hotel? Wow. I'm expecting a few days of
> > intense learning and networking with some of the most brilliant people I
> > have ever met. Food and drink are far less interesting.
> >
> > Now, if somebody wanted to talk to me about a job, I might be able to make
> > time for it.
>
> I think I know **why** some people are planning to leave the hotel --
> so they can get away from the San Francisco Rails programmers and have
> a sensible conversation without getting sprayed in the face with
> irrelevant rudeness coming out of nowhere. You boys really need to
> learn to keep those things in your pants.

I see a bunch of dudes in the hotel bar right now...I'm going to head
out and find a cool place to play pool and talk to southern girls
(does NC count as southern? I dunno). Ideally I won't be keeping it
in my pants.

Pat

Giles Bowkett

> > > You expect to get out of the hotel? Wow. I'm expecting a few days of
> > > intense learning and networking with some of the most brilliant people I
> > > have ever met. Food and drink are far less interesting.
> > >
> > > Now, if somebody wanted to talk to me about a job, I might be able to make
> > > time for it.
> >
> > I think I know **why** some people are planning to leave the hotel --
> > so they can get away from the San Francisco Rails programmers and have
> > a sensible conversation without getting sprayed in the face with
> > irrelevant rudeness coming out of nowhere. You boys really need to
> > learn to keep those things in your pants.
>
> I see a bunch of dudes in the hotel bar right now...I'm going to head
> out and find a cool place to play pool and talk to southern girls
> (does NC count as southern? I dunno). Ideally I won't be keeping it
> in my pants.

Take it out all you want, as long as I don't have to see it or smell it.

(I am skeptical, but that's a whole nother ball of wax.)

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...