[ANN] the result of Ruby official logo contest

Yukihiro Matsumoto

10/30/2007 9:08:00 AM

Hello All,

As a chairman of the recently formed Ruby Association LLC[1], I
happily announce the result of our Ruby official logo contest.

We received 203 logos from 103 people. TLDs of their mail addresses
are .ac, .am, .as, .au, .biz, .com, .cx, .de, .dk, .edu, .es, .id,
jp, .net, .org, .ru, .to, and .uk.

And the prize goes to Tom Schaub, from Lexington, Kentucky USA. He
will receive a winner plate and 100,000 JPY (roughly 872 USD). We
are now preparing a nice plate.

The selection criteria is following

* avoid japonesque ones

Even though Ruby is from Japan, and I am a Japanese, Ruby uses live
all over the world. Relying on single culture may not suitable for
the world dominating language.

* avoid cute ones

In Japan, we have tradition to value cute things high. But in
worldwide, cute things are often considered immature. I don't want
Ruby to be considered juvenile.

* avoid Rails related

Ruby is far older than Rails, and perhaps will live longer than
Rails. Ruby on Rails rely on Ruby, not in reverse.

* select Ruby (jewel) related

Alter all, the top image of the language is Ruby jewel. So I
avoided rabbits, fairies, and other creatures.

In a process of selection, I strongly felt how good the previous one
was. It's beautiful, simple and embodies the image of the language.
I belive the new one inherites those properties in spirit. I really
appreciate the original designer, John Long.

I especially prefer the image part of the new logo, so we might use
the logo without "programming language" text.

matz.
[1] http://www.ruby...
[2] http://www.ruby...logo-contest.html.ja
[2] http://www.ruby...ruby-logo.jpg

19 Answers

Stanislav Sedov

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 06:07:57PM +0900 Yukihiro Matsumoto mentioned:
> Hello All,
>
> As a chairman of the recently formed Ruby Association LLC[1], I
> happily announce the result of our Ruby official logo contest.
>
> We received 203 logos from 103 people. TLDs of their mail addresses
> are .ac, .am, .as, .au, .biz, .com, .cx, .de, .dk, .edu, .es, .id,
> .jp, .net, .org, .ru, .to, and .uk.
>
> And the prize goes to Tom Schaub, from Lexington, Kentucky USA. He
> will receive a winner plate and 100,000 JPY (roughly 872 USD). We
> are now preparing a nice plate.
>
> The selection criteria is following
>
> * avoid japonesque ones
>
> Even though Ruby is from Japan, and I am a Japanese, Ruby uses live
> all over the world. Relying on single culture may not suitable for
> the world dominating language.
>
> * avoid cute ones
>
> In Japan, we have tradition to value cute things high. But in
> worldwide, cute things are often considered immature. I don't want
> Ruby to be considered juvenile.
>
> * avoid Rails related
>
> Ruby is far older than Rails, and perhaps will live longer than
> Rails. Ruby on Rails rely on Ruby, not in reverse.
>
> * select Ruby (jewel) related
>
> Alter all, the top image of the language is Ruby jewel. So I
> avoided rabbits, fairies, and other creatures.

For me, the old logo looks much more simple, clean and stylish. The new
one is almost unusable on low resolutions and probably would look badly
on dark backgrounds (from my point of you).

Good work anyway, but will not be better to stay with the old one?

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE

Todd Burch

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> And the prize goes to Tom Schaub, from Lexington, Kentucky USA. He
> will receive a winner plate and 100,000 JPY (roughly 872 USD). We
> are now preparing a nice plate.

Congrats Tom!

Jeremy McAnally

You can see my comments on the http://www.rubyi... page, and I
think I'm certainly not the only one with those sentiments.

In a nutshell: I don't like it. And I think plenty of people would
have chipped into a funding drive to get someone experienced in brand
design to take care of designing something rather than tossing the
contest out to a bunch of programmers who know very little about
design.

Alas, it's chosen now, but I'm still open to putting up some money for
another one to be designed, even if it isn't the "official" one and
merely used by those of us who don't care for the one chosen.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

James Britt

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> You can see my comments on the http://www.rubyi... page, and I
> think I'm certainly not the only one with those sentiments.
>
> In a nutshell: I don't like it. And I think plenty of people would
> have chipped into a funding drive to get someone experienced in brand
> design to take care of designing something rather than tossing the
> contest out to a bunch of programmers who know very little about
> design.

FWIW, I announced this contest on a mailing list for Web designers and
developers in the Phoenix, AZ, area. I did not see any reaction, and
have no idea if anyone bothered to submit anything. Too bad.

It may be trickier than imagined to rouse interest and get folks
motivated; some Rails-style hype would have come in handy for this.

There was much more interest when the ruby-lang.org redesign was
underway. Many of the logos produced for that project would make better
choices.

James

Marc Heiler

I just looked at the Python logo
http://www.python.org/images/pytho... too, to compare.

It looks somewhat okay, but also a bit like a company's site logo ...
And didnt Python have a logo-snake in the past? It looked not good, but
python did put a lot of emphasis on "FUN" ... the new webpage looks more
professional, but less "fun"... Anyway that is just my opinion.

(Btw that Python logo has a TM notice while the ruby logo has not, maybe
thats also a different philosophy behind a language? *grin*)

PS: I actually like the proposed logo. If there is only one aspect I
could change, maybe I would try to make it more crisp/sharper, but I
side on the people that like the logo anyway so it aint important for
me. ;)

PSS: I will put the "official" one on my webpage as link to the ruby
site too :D

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

2007/10/30, Marc Heiler <shevegen@linuxmail.org>:
> I just looked at the Python logo
> http://www.python.org/images/pytho... too, to compare.
>
> It looks somewhat okay, but also a bit like a company's site logo ...
> And didnt Python have a logo-snake in the past? It looked not good, but
> python did put a lot of emphasis on "FUN" ... the new webpage looks more
> professional, but less "fun"... Anyway that is just my opinion.
>
> (Btw that Python logo has a TM notice while the ruby logo has not, maybe
> thats also a different philosophy behind a language? *grin*)
>
> PS: I actually like the proposed logo. If there is only one aspect I
> could change, maybe I would try to make it more crisp/sharper, but I
> side on the people that like the logo anyway so it aint important for
> me. ;)
>
> PSS: I will put the "official" one on my webpage as link to the ruby
> site too :D

Here are better ones:
http://www.goodbyehelicopter.com/2007/10/30/fwiw-my-ruby-logo-su...

It's funny that you didn't mention Perl, or PHP.

Perl's is not precisely a great logo either. But everybody associates
the camel (and not a pearl) with Perl (after "the Camel" book), so it
works great for Perl, and therefore it's a great logo (oops, reductio
ad absurdum? :)

PHP's, well, it's simple and does the job. I wonder how it got chosen.
It reminds me the first logo in the URL above.
--
Gerardo Santana

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
> 2007/10/30, Marc Heiler <shevegen@linuxmail.org>:
>> I just looked at the Python logo
>> http://www.python.org/images/pytho... too, to compare.
>>
>> It looks somewhat okay, but also a bit like a company's site logo ...
>> And didnt Python have a logo-snake in the past? It looked not good, but
>> python did put a lot of emphasis on "FUN" ... the new webpage looks more
>> professional, but less "fun"... Anyway that is just my opinion.
>>
>> (Btw that Python logo has a TM notice while the ruby logo has not, maybe
>> thats also a different philosophy behind a language? *grin*)
>>
>> PS: I actually like the proposed logo. If there is only one aspect I
>> could change, maybe I would try to make it more crisp/sharper, but I
>> side on the people that like the logo anyway so it aint important for
>> me. ;)
>>
>> PSS: I will put the "official" one on my webpage as link to the ruby
>> site too :D
>
> Here are better ones:
> http://www.goodbyehelicopter.com/2007/10/30/fwiw-my-ruby-logo-su...
>
> It's funny that you didn't mention Perl, or PHP.
>
> Perl's is not precisely a great logo either. But everybody associates
> the camel (and not a pearl) with Perl (after "the Camel" book), so it
> works great for Perl, and therefore it's a great logo (oops, reductio
> ad absurdum? :)
>
> PHP's, well, it's simple and does the job. I wonder how it got chosen.
> It reminds me the first logo in the URL above.
Well ... there's the PostgreSQL elephant and the MySQL dolphin. As far
as a logo for Ruby is concerned, I don't have any strong opinions one
way or another about the new one, except that at first glance, it looked
to me a lot like the Rails logo.

Austin Ziegler

On 10/30/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido <gerardo.santana@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are better ones:
> http://www.goodbyehelicopter.com/2007/10/30/fwiw-my-ruby-logo-su...

Oddly enough, I thought all of the ones on that page, well, sucked.
They were boring.

I can't say that the chosen logo "turns me on", but I think it can be
cleaned up; maybe with a few more black lines to darken the gem;
possibly wash out the red/orange background gradient.

But I don't think it's a *bad* logo at all, and it's certainly better
than some of the Web 2.0 style logos that I've seen touted as
"better".

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Peña, Botp

From: Austin Ziegler [mailto:halostatue@gmail.com]
# On 10/30/07, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
# http://www.goodbyehelicopter.com/2007/10/30/fwiw-my-...
# submissions/
#
# Oddly enough, I thought all of the ones on that page, well, sucked.
# They were boring.

oddly, we differ. i think they were better.. the old ruby logo in ruby-lang is better too..

# I can't say that the chosen logo "turns me on", but I think it can be
# cleaned up; maybe with a few more black lines to darken the gem;
# possibly wash out the red/orange background gradient.

i suggest we remove all those fill colors and all text. ie we start with the plain outline, the sliced gem and the box. if we do not like the outlined result, then it's really not what we want. but looking at it now, i guess a plain smoothed outline is not bad (in fact i may be happy even without those colors :)) can anyone experiment on this, pls?

# But I don't think it's a *bad* logo at all, and it's certainly better
# than some of the Web 2.0 style logos that I've seen touted as
# "better".

along the lines w this http://en.wikipedia.org...

kind regards -botp

Andi Cutman

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> I especially prefer the image part of the new logo, so we might use
> the logo without "programming language" text.
Me too.I like the image part of the new logo too.And,may be see
http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?pare...