Re: book about design pattern

James Britt

10/30/2007 4:29:00 AM

coolgeng coolgeng wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have some base knowledge about ruby on rails. Is there some perfect
> book about design pattern?

No.

> Thanks

Hey, no problem.

:)

Seriously, patterns are often language-specific. the GoF book is
typically cited, but patterns for Java/C++ do not always apply in Ruby.

There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book (though it would
not surprise me if someone is signing a publishing contract at this very
moment), but a Smalltalk patterns book might help.

--
James Britt

"Simplicity of the language is not what matters, but
simplicity of use."

Thomas Adam

Hello --

On 30/10/2007, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, patterns are often language-specific. the GoF book is
> typically cited, but patterns for Java/C++ do not always apply in Ruby.

I can't say I agree here. Patterns are just that; patterns. How they
manifest themselves within different languages might differ, but the
intent is still the same. Take the AbstractFactory pattern for
example -- you get that one for free in Ruby. There's already the
Observer pattern in the core, too.

> There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book (though it would
> not surprise me if someone is signing a publishing contract at this very
> moment), but a Smalltalk patterns book might help.

IMO, the GOF book is all you need, although note:

http://rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/ExampleDesignPatt...

As well as numerous (sporadic, more like) references to do with
patterns on the C2 wiki:

http://c2.co...

-- Thomas Adam

Chris Lowis

> There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book

Russ Olsen's "Design Patterns in Ruby" is on it's way :

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Ruby-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/...

Regards,

Chris

pat eyler

On 10/30/07, Chris Lowis <chris.lowis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book
>
> Russ Olsen's "Design Patterns in Ruby" is on it's way :
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Ruby-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/...

I'm really looking forward to this one. In addition, there are two
pdf's (also from AW) that might be interesting:
Rails Refactoring to Resources
Rubyisms in Rails

both of these are available either as a pdf or in their
Professional Ruby Collection
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Ruby-Collection-Refactoring-Addison-Wesley/dp/...

> Regards,
>
> Chris

thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.bl... http://on-erlang.bl...
http://on-soccer.bl...

John Joyce

On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Chris Lowis wrote:

>> There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book
>
> Russ Olsen's "Design Patterns in Ruby" is on it's way :
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Ruby-Addis...
> Professional/dp/0321490452
>

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Interesting. Veeeery, interesting.

coolgeng coolgeng

Actually, I got the book named "GOF patterns in ruby". It may be the answer
of my question.

On Oct 30, 2007 9:03 PM, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Chris Lowis wrote:
>
> >> There is (to my knowledge) no Patterns for Ruby book
> >
> > Russ Olsen's "Design Patterns in Ruby" is on it's way :
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Ruby-Addis...
> > Professional/dp/0321490452
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Chris